Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011
HopeBlowingMySail

FromINtoKN is on a distinguished road
Catamaran/Multihull

Hello Everyone,
I hate to make my first post on this forum with such a beginers question, but I am by no means a sailor. I grew up on Lake Michigan on a Chris Craft but it was a motorboat. I used to never understand sailing (and by no means do I still understand it) but my wife and I have decided we went to become cruisers. We are right now in the planning/funding phase but neither of us know how to sail. That being said when we do decide to go in 5 or 6 years we want to purchase a multihull boat as that seems that it would fit us best for our lifestyle (we will have 2 young childeren with us and those seem as if they offer the best means for younger childeren).

Now, as I have said I am not a sailor yet but will be purchasing a boat hopefully this summer or next to learn with. How different is a multihull boat to sail as opposed to a monohull? I know I can pick up a 25ftish monohull to learn on for around 5k to use on lake michigan but would I then have a big learning curve to go from the monohull to the multihull? My wife will be learning with me as we go along and will be taking sailing lessons this summer to get our feet wet first on a sailboat.

Any input is appreciated as to the operation of a multihull vs a monohull is appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2011
counting the days!

landlockedgm is on a distinguished road
The wind is the wind in any boat!

Have fun learning!
Old 03-10-2011
HopeBlowingMySail

nobody has gone from a Mono to a multi?
Old 03-10-2011

CoralReefer is on a distinguished road
Get a Hobie 16 or 18, Prindle 18, Nacra. Their all pretty cheap used and you can take the family while you learn. Enjoy the fun of fast sailing on a cat. I have 2 beach cats and a monohull. Love every one of them. Have fun!
Old 03-10-2011
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Have fun no matter which way you go. I sail small beach cats and coastal cruise/live on a 31 ft. mono. The handling characteristics differences are not that great. A multi will heal less and not tack as easily, a mono will have a generally more gentle motion. This site is full of discussion on the differences, which is better for what, and personal preferences. Use the search function at the top and I assure you will find a lot to read on the subject of mono v. multi.

Best advice I can offer to you as a beginner is take your time buying a boat, learn some good basic sailing skills, try both small multi hull, small center board and small keel boat and discover the differences for yourself since only you will decide which you prefer.

Welcome to sailing!
Old 03-10-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I am sure some of the multihull guys will chime in and tell me how wrong I am but IMHO there is not a whole lot of difference between sailing a CRUISING monohull and a CRUISING catamaran except that a cat can be a bit difficult to tack in some conditions.

Yeah there are some things to learn to do differently in extreme conditions esp. in higher performance multihulls but that can be added on. The rest, as they say, are ' transferable skills'. Go for something cheap and cheerful in a mono with lid and sail the snot out of it.
Old 03-10-2011
HopeBlowingMySail

Thank you all for the input. I have been trying to read about the differences on this site and elsewhere and I think for my wifes sake we have decided to just go ahead and take sailing lessons first and then we will purchase a cat or smaller hobie as she does not want heal that much. We plan on doing the 4 year world tour and we also think that with a cat we will have more room for the kids to have their own space with on board.
Old 03-10-2011

overbored is on a distinguished road
I sail both and once you learn to sail there is only small differences in sailing . the big difference and why I do not own a big cat is the expense. cats are about 3 times more expensive to buy then a mono haul for the same length. the small cats are cheep and fun but wet boats. the 20 to 30 foot cats are also wet boats and there are only a handful of good designs, not very cheap either. the 30 to 40 footers are in the $250K+ range. untill you get into the 30 footers and above they are all mostly day sailers. the other draw back is the expence of the docking. any where that you store boats in a marina, the spaces for a big cats are very limited and at a premium price. If you can afford it then go for it I know I would. there just aren't any good designs in my price range.
Old 03-10-2011

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road
The lowest price Catamaran that will handle your family would be the Gemini 105MC (that I know of).

One thing it is missing is the "living room" that you get with a Monohull. To get that, you need to spend $250+ as mentioned.
Old 03-11-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I went from a 30ft. mono to a 46ft. cat. Sailing is pretty much sailing until you get into heavy weather. Then everything changes.

I would get a small mono, and sail her bottom paint off her. I would definately take lessons, and seperately from the wife. Once she uunderstand what makes the boat sail she will fear heeling a whole llot less, or not at all.

As far as when it comes to looking for a cat. Don't be afraid to think out of the box with one off, and cold molded boats. Just make sure your surveyor understands the material the boat is built of......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.