Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011

nauticalnut is on a distinguished road
I would reccommend the following:

EndeavourCats Home Page
click on Pre owned boats. I have been on the 2003 44 ft "IV Play" and it is well worth the $350k. Very spacious and stable. Read the owners testimonials; a smaller 30' cat made the jump from the US mainland to Hawaii. I'd call that bluewater. The heated / cooled cockpit and huge solar array on the roof are nice additions. I know for a fact that you can run the AC at the dock just off the solar panels (well here in Florida anyways).

If you are looking at monohulls, my first pick would be a Island packet. I have been on several and they are solidly built Bluewater cruisers. Shannon yachts would be my second choice.

For older hulls Gulfstar and Irwin made some fine yachts in your length/price range. I believe Ted Irwins personal Yacht is up for sale on Yachtworld

Bear in mind that a bigger boat means more crew. all the one I have indicated are easily handled by a couple or solo (with some practice).

Also is you want to do some gunkholing in the carribbean you will need a shallow draft for some of the more remote locales. in that case a southerly should be included on your list.

Good luck,
Chris Alexander
FSO-CS
US Coast Guard Auxiliary
Flotilla 74 Brandon, FL
US Coast Guard Auxiliary, District 7 Division 7 - Flotilla #74, Brandon FL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
In an end of the world scenario, why not buy that recently decommissioned Discovery.
Old 03-15-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I believe it is committed to the Smithsonian.
Old 03-16-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Having cruised and knowing what it takes to outfit a boat to liveaboard, and also the conditions you could be bringing her in... spend up to $250k on the boat (this should get you a nice older Passport, Tayana, Hylas, or any number of other bluewater boats) and spend the other $200k on outfitting (you'll easily be able to do this - liferaft and other safety gear, windgen, solars, watermaker, genset, electronics, spare parts, possibly a new engine, standing rigging, lifelines, running rigging, sails, etc.).

Also, for two people, I would go with something no longer than 45', preferably in the 40' area (which will restrict the center cockpit choice). You want to be able to handle the sails if you have an electrical or hydraulic failure, and boats larger than 50' make this very difficult. Also, safety wise, there really is little difference between a 40' boat and a 50' boat when mother nature throws her worst at you. If anything, I'd feel safer in a 40' boat since there's less hull to crack, fewer systems, etc. We're looking at 50' boats right now, but that's because we have two kids.

I don't have the link handy but there was a long thread on bluewater boat makes here somewhere... great discussion on brands. Being a Passport owner I love to see other people go down that path, but I can also say that Taiwanese/Chinese boats are some of the best bluewater boats as long as you refit the metalwork (chainplates, rudder cages, etc.).
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 03-16-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
No one has mentioned the Nautor's Swan? Nautor's Swan - Sailing Boats and Yachts
They are kind of like the Bentley's of the sail boat world.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Swan's are great too - nice and fast and very comfortable cruisers. I believe you can get a 40-45' early 80's Swan for under $250k. The only issue I tend to have with Swan's is that their electrical systems are overly complex, or are just wired for Europe. So... Passport, Tayana, Hylas, Swan, Amel, and a few others.

Of course, you didn't mention where you'd want to go. If you are just looking to stay coastal, or go to the Bahamas, Beneteau's, Catalinas, Hunter's or pretty much any boat would do - and might be more comfortable than a bluewater boat.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 03-20-2011
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
My vote is for a Hylas 47, used and in excellent condition with either newer electronics or no electronics so you can outfit it yourself.

I do know of an older ~50' cruising sailboat in my marina that is fiberglass hull over steel stringers; an amazing looking pilothouse cruiser. It was listing for $165k. Needs going through but it would be a nice world cruiser if it was done up right. The owner passed away before setting off on a circumnav (nearly fully refit), and it has been sitting at the marina for the last 4 years waiting for another owner. If I wanted a "world cruiser" and had $450k to drop into an older boat; that would be the boat for me...

Send me a Private Message (PM) if you want more info...
Old 03-25-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
If 450k is only your purchase money and you have more to run the boat, I'd look at an Outbound 46. Not center cockpit, but a great sailor and very well laid out. Solid glass hull... one of the only 'modern' cruising boats that doesn't have a cored hull.

Used boats... so long as the big three have been addressed: rig, engine, deck conditions (especially for a S&S swan), there are many nice boats around that would suit your needs.
Old 03-25-2011

bdietrich is on a distinguished road
I think this whole discussion is a bit "off the rails". What do you want to do with the boat ? All your original post said was "living aboard a bluewater boat".

If you haven't done this before, let me suggest you won't enjoy crossing oceans. So you don't need a top-reputation world-circling boat.

I'd far rather have a $100K boat and $350K in the bank, than a $350K boat and $100K in the bank. Money = flexibility, security. Suppose you hate or get tired of the boat and want to sell it ? Not easy. Suppose your health starts going downhill ?

Read my web site, especially the "Getting Started" and "Choosing Boat Models" pages: Retire Onto A Sailboat

sailing vessel "Magnolia": 1973 Gulfstar 44 ketch motor-sailer
Old 08-29-2011

dfhoch is on a distinguished road
Best Boat for $450 K

Hands down, buy a Caliber 47. Safe, comfortable, can be well equipped.