Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011

Interaxions is on a distinguished road
A very specific Serious Question

If I have 450k to spend, am I better off buying an older boat for less money and fixing it up with the difference in savings, or a newer boat.

Required:

Imagine it is the end of the world, and my home is going to be my boat. I want to make it as completely self-sufficient as possible, solar, water maker etc. I realize if I spend too much on a newer vessel I won't have enough left for add-ons.

I really want space up to 50' but have been told I may be "safer" not going over 45 like a hunter,

A LITTLE HELP PLEASE! Serious buyer, time is running out!

Thanks very much for input on specs etc, and what I will need. This is not a "vacation" but a permanent life-style choice, and yes I grew up sailing/racing/ etc but never gone for serious bluewater living....

all inputs appreciated re: required gear etc. Also budgeting 36k per year for living expenses, but don't know how much for "hidden" fees like you know...highway robbery charges etc in unknown places....

Thanks again
David L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2011

omaho5 is on a distinguished road
$450 large can buy several boats. Then you can donate one to me.
I wll sell my CD 22 and all will be well.
Old 03-13-2011

Just to be clear I am talking about a seaworthy bluewater sailboat with myself and my wife only, center cockpit, possible pilothouse, solid endurance and liveability, and then I will make sure the gear is the best possible. Suggestions? what or how would you gear yourself with a 450k budget?
Old 03-13-2011

very cute omaho! I know but I am really looking at like a morgan 51, but the AGE of the vessel has me a little scared only 135k. But I am also looking at doing some chartering in the meantime before the proverbial maneur hits the fan....I know things break etc.
Old 03-13-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Okay, assuming this is even remotely real, here is what I would do:
spend $150k on the best 20 year old 50'er I could find. here's why- a boat that old has already taken the depreciation hit, and has likely undergone it's second equipment refit, is on it's second owner who now is too old to feel he can sail her, so you will get a 5 year old engine, and 2 year old electronics at half their installed cost. Then convert the rest of your alleged assets NOW to gold. Now you have hard trading material if the signals received by your tinfoil hat are correct.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-13-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Are we speaking May 2011, or Dec 2012...

as the others say, 450 very large will buy a lot of boat, even the collector quality ones.

If this year I would buy the nicest 40-48 Center Cockpit I could fine...there are several. Model Year does not matter as much as the condition and build quality. Sabre, IP, SouWester, come to mind.

Then equip it with those things that will be needed most, after the stuff hits, so that you can be as close to 100% self sustaining as possible.

Living expenses will be a non-issue after any of the predicted events. KEEPING your stuff will be the thing you spend 100% of your time doing.

If 2012, then I would wait to early summer, as the 2011 event happening or not may make a very big impact on your plans for 2012 and the years following. I am not sure I would want to be on a boat with today's RO watermakers and hope to "find" fresh water (not that it will be any easier on land), as without parts and copious amounts of power, watermaking may consume the rest of your time.

The rest, as they say, is icing on the cake...
Old 03-13-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Several hundred possibilities here in this N.A. search for up to $350K.

(Sail) Cruiser Boats For Sale

I'd be shopping for the best-equipped most suitable boat for $350K or thereabouts and then know that whatever upgrades and additions I'd need would keep me in the 400 - 450 range.

Hylas, C&C Landfall 48, though older - a good one something like those could well be good for another go-around. I wouldn't let age by itself necessarily be a deal breaker (to a point, of course).

Your budgets (purchase and cruising) will be the envy of many.... it should be easy to find what you need/want.
peoples1234 likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-14-2011
scurvy dog

delan is on a distinguished road
Here you go
1986 Scandi Yachts Deerfoot Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Mako 236
Shamrock 26
Schucker 44 Cutter
Dyer Dhow
Old 03-14-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Not sure how real your expectations are for the end of the world. I suggest a boat will be little comfort, as you will find it hard to procure replacement and repair parts in that scenario.

If that is just an analogy to how well you want her equipped, then I would suggest looking for the best hull you can find that was used lightly and may only be 5 to 7 years old. The biggest depreciation hit will be behind you and all the systems should be checked out with low hours.

It is unlikely that you will find something that is perfectly outfitted, but the more you buy already installed, the more of your budget you will have to retrofit the rest. Toys all depreciate by 50% the moment you install them.

A better analogy for me was to have a second/vacation home that we could sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-14-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Given your parameters, I would look at a Nauticat 44...

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=77233&url=

... but that's me...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.