Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011

rmeador is on a distinguished road
If you haul it, let it hang in the sling for an hour, and measure for moisture and it comes up dry, you're good. It won't get wetter while on the hard If, however, it shows moisture at that time, you may find the moisture will go down if it's left to dry for a while. So said my surveyor, and it makes sense to me. Luckily, my boat showed zero moisture when it was hauled.
Old 03-28-2011

SuenosAzules is on a distinguished road
I completely agree with Paul323. However you can only measure moisture with a moisture meter on areas that do not have anti foulding paint on them as the copper in the paint will create conductivity with the meter and wil read as "wet." With those areas use a phenolic hammer. Keeping it out of the water for several days will of course show slightly drier that when first hauled out. Remember the marine surveying is not an exact science. It is more an assesment of the vessel at the time it was surveyed.
Old 03-31-2011
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
THANK YOU FOR POSTING THAT CAPT JOHN!! So many people have no idea what a moisture meter can and cannot do. Even on dry hulls you will read a moisture content if there is metallic bottom paint; because it conducts the signal from the meter!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2011

SuenosAzules is on a distinguished road
No problem...

No problem Keelhaulin.. Unfortunately there are alot of misconceptions about what certain tools (and certain marine technicians) can and can't do. In this line of work I have seen some marine technicians make false assertions using certain meters in order to scare boat owners into getting their business (like running a moisture meter along bottom paint and claiming they have blistering in the hull when it reads "wet"). In this day and age it is very important for boat owners to do their own research online after speaking to a marine technician and getting second opinions and quotes for work. I have seen thousands of dollars wasted on unnecessary work on boats where nothing was wrong with the vessel in the first place. As a boat owner of a 34' catamaran I have seen this myself several times. Even to the point where marine technicians have left business cards on my vessel in the yard asking me to call them because they noticed blistering damage or rigging that needed to be repaired (both times were not the case). So boat owners, be aware of these things. Not all technicians are like this of course, but they do exist.