Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Walt, in initial post buried, he mentioned a Cat was more money than he wanted to spend.

To OP, if you can up the budget from 50K to 100K or a skoosh more, ie 110-120K, you will find many 2 cabin shoal draft boats up and own the east coast, and drop to 34', there are a number of older Jeanneau's that will work for you. On the west coast where I am, probably 1 in 5 or 10 boats will be a shoal draft, most will be the std 5-6' draft, with more than shoal being the DEEP draft in the 6.5-7.5 range. Here in Puget sound where I am, there is NO reason for a shoal draft boat. Unlike on the east coast where you are. ALtho the local does have an SO35 shoal 2cabin, but a bit over $100K.

If shooting for under 50K, look at Hunters, they seem to come std with shoal drafts, ie under 5'. ALong with some of the older Catalina's. You may very well have to wait, search weekly etc on yachtworld.

Marty
Old 03-16-2011

dwightgry is on a distinguished road
I would love to have a cat, but for the first time in my life boating I was sick every time we hit big water. The motion somehow didn't agree with me, and this was on a 58' cat! I have been out in big seas on my old Pearson 323 by myself without getting sick at all.
I really would like a shallow draft boat for the Bahamas and Cuba. I am on the west coast of BC a lot of the summer fishing (in my powerboat of course) so know that a shoal draft isn't needed, but I keep running aground in the Bahamas trying to cut corners.
The budget isn't stuck on $50k, but I was just looking for possibilities in this price range. I could go up more, but then wouldn't be comfortable with self-insuring, as a total loss would start to hurt. Is anybody else getting tired of the hassle to get boat insurance and keep it up? They have so many requirements to obtain insurance, and then continuos inspections, etc.
I may end up with something like a Pearson 365, a reasonable cruising boat, as they are still cheap enough to buy and let sit for most of the year, but won't kill me to walk away from. In some of the areas that I want to go (Cuba is high on the list) there will be a chance of total loss due to lack of available rescue service. Hence the reason for this exercise in looking for a budget-restricted boat.