Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011

dwightgry is on a distinguished road
My water will be green

Just returned from a loop of the western Carb. and thru the canal. I always thought I needed a blue water boat, but ran across so many coastal boats down there I am beginning to re-think my needs.
I started with a Pearson 323, then moved to a Brewer 12.8. Too small, then too big. I did 3 winters in the Bahamas, then sold out and went with a friend on a 58' cat thru the Carib. Found out cats are probably not my first choice, and they are more expensive than what I want to invest right now. My sailing area will be Bahamas/Cuba and maybe a bit further. The boats under consideration for me are something like the Pearson 365 or Morgan 384. I would love a Bristol 38.8, but don't want to spend that much.
My wish list is from about big 36' to 40' without aft cabin (want the storage area) but can be quarter berth. No full keel, but would like skegged rudder if possible. I have re-adjusted from full-on blue water to consider Hunter, Beneteau, etc. but seems like all around 38' have one or two aft cabins, to the loss of storage. (This is critical to me as I haul a lot of gear, an essential part of my cruising experience.) In this size range an aft cockpit is what I will choose.
My question is are there any other choices that you are aware of? Doesn't need to be a rocket ship, but should sail well and not be weak design/construction. Budget could be $50k. Part of the reason for the low budget will be to avoid insuring the boat (the hassle has been really discouraging for me).
I have read extensively over the years about boats, but always with prejudice towards blue water only boats. Now I realize that is no longer essential, but unfortunately have been of the mindset that other choices were sub-standard for so long that I need help re-focusing on alternative brands. You can see that my 3 above mentioned boats are capable of some blue water sailing, but they also have the design features that I may want. Who knows, maybe with time I could even accept a bolted-on keel and a spade rudder, (yikes)! Oh, shoal draft would probably be necessary for the area I want to go, at least around 5' or so.
Thanks to all who read and respond.
Dwight

Added: The boat will be cruised for approx. 4 months each years, so no charter layout please.

Last edited by dwightgry; 03-15-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I've seen designs by Jeanneau thru the years with two cabin arrangements, that give you the big storage area under one side of the cockpit seat, usually behind the head. With access from the factory in many from the head too! Some older ones you would have to make access if you wanted this option. This have been in boats to 40'. Altho the 35-40foot versions seem to come with 3 cabins more than the 2. But from Jeanneau, the Sun Odessy 35, 37 and 39's have 2 cabin options, some of the older designs like the Sunshine, a 36 or 38' version depending upon if it has a sugar scoop stern or not have 2 cabins. The SO's are from the late 90's, the SS's from the mid 80's. There are version in between too, altho the name designation escapes me. The ODAY 39 and 40 is a rebaged Jeanneau, those came with 2 cabin options too. Sun Fizz IIRC in the Jeanneau range.

marty
Old 03-15-2011

I've seen designs by Jeanneau thru the years with two cabin arrangements, that give you the big storage area under one side of the cockpit seat, usually behind the head. With access from the factory in many from the head too! Some older ones you would have to make access if you wanted this option. This have been in boats to 40'. Altho the 35-40foot versions seem to come with 3 cabins more than the 2. But from Jeanneau, the Sun Odessy 35, 37 and 39's have 2 cabin options, some of the older designs like the Sunshine, a 36 or 38' version depending upon if it has a sugar scoop stern or not have 2 cabins. The SO's are from the late 90's, the SS's from the mid 80's. There are version in between too, altho the name designation escapes me. The ODAY 39 and 40 is a rebaged Jeanneau, those came with 2 cabin options too. Sun Fizz IIRC in the Jeanneau range.

marty
Old 03-15-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
bigger isn't always better,thats what my wife tells me
Old 03-15-2011

dwightgry is on a distinguished road
Thanks blt2ski; looked at Jeanneau models, but they seem to be more oriented to charter service. Even saw a 36' with 3 cabins(?), but I would prefer storage accessable from the cockpit to extra cabins.
Old 03-15-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightgry View Post
Thanks blt2ski; looked at Jeanneau models, but they seem to be more oriented to charter service. Even saw a 36' with 3 cabins(?), but I would prefer storage accessable from the cockpit to extra cabins.
Many Jeanneau/Beneteau type boats are going to be three cabin versions. I guess not only because of charter but also because they suit families. You will find two cabin versions available but they take some finding.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-15-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
I know you don't want bolt on keels and spade ruders but

take a look at the layout of the Catalina 42 two cabin. The galley goes back far under the cockpit and there is a ton of storage in that area. The traditional vee-birth is replaced with a walk around queen bed (innerspring mattress and all) which is not a good sea birth but the single aft cabin is a perfect sea birth. Or they have a two cabin with the pullman up front and second head forward. While they are not the true bluewater, people have circumnavigated with them. They also have a lot of features that make them comfortable at anchor or the dock, like walk through transom, more comfortable births, big galley, etc.

Here is an example of what I mean with the pullman.

And here is one with the queen birth.

Both of these are well equipped and higher then your budget but there are some in the $70K range.

I was in the same boat as you, as far as thinking I wanted a bluewater boat. I bought a Catalina 310 last year and I am really impressed with the build quality and would to the type of sailing you are talking about on it.

Good luck.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Old 03-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightgry View Post
As TDW mentioned, many J's and B's are designed and sold into the charter fleets, these will be 3 cabin versions. BUT, if you can find a private boat initially, you should be able to find a 2 cabin version. Also look at the 34.x and 36.x versions too. My 85, granted a 30'r is a 2 cabin as I think you want. I know of 2 or 3 of the 4 sunshines from the mid 80s, ie a 36' version of my Arcadia, are 2 cabin versions. There are a couple of newer version local for sale that are 2 cabin also. THEY DO exist!

BUT, if you are looking in the Caribbean, I highly doubt you will find but one in 100 boats are 2 vs 3 cabin versions.

Marty

PS, wombat, can you delete my accidental double post if you see this.....thank you!
Old 03-15-2011

Not sure where you are looking, it might be the $ amount, but local dealer has two new, and two used Jeanneau's, ALL FOUR are 2 cabin boats, NONE are 3 cabin. Here is the link.... Marine Servicenter - Seattle (Seattle, WA)

They have one of the new 409's, a used 39i, 36i and a 35. BUT< these may be double to triple you budget if I am reading correctly.

marty
Old 03-15-2011

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
How about a catamaran? Two hull cabins, shoal draft

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.