Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011

bizirka is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input!
I should clarify, by race I mean, local beer-can type racing that is more for fun than anything else. By cruise I mean sail up to the san juans for a week max. I know non of these boats are perfect for either, but the last thing I want is a slow boat here in the NW. I read about people with westsails in seattle who rarily get to throw up a sail in the summer months.

I am trying not to get too excited about any particular boat, I am the type of guy who loves to buy I mostly want a boat that wont require endless hours of work and money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2011

YeahJohn is on a distinguished road
You can get late 90's early 2000's hunters in the 30 to 36 foot range for around your price range. Most people have choice words about them but I think they are pretty sweet deals and fun boats. May be worth a look.
Old 03-16-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The local SJ 30 and 34's frankly, do fairly well racing when raced well. As do the 24's, 28's, 21's............

Not sure who you are talking with at MSC, but all of the ones I know are very knowledgeable folks. If it were me, not sure which way I would go. I've always had a fondness since a teen growing up in the area for SJ's, especially the 24....Then again, when I finally looked at one, a bit smaller than my teen brain said it was! altho bigger than the 21cb style boat I was used to or my 8' pram!....but C&C's have for what ever reason also a place in my heart for boats.

I can not remember what those are selling for, but there might be some other boats better suited. then again, depending upon price, livability etc...

marty
Old 03-17-2011

I checked out the SJ34 it has 6 foot head room, I am 6'3"...so that is a no go. So any opionions on the C&C 39? How does she sail, is she too old?

Thanks for your comments.
Old 03-17-2011

Did you check out that o'day 34 listed with your broker?

I think 39k for the C&C a 70's boat is a big risk. Plus that is going to be a lot of boat for you and a friend. May be fun with 8 guys on a friday evening race at the club but besides that...
Old 03-17-2011

Hi John,

Why do you think it is a risk? It has had the same owner for the past 29 years, he took really good care of the boat, the latest survey says "the boat is very well maintained with pride of owndership eveiden, etc..." He is selling it because he is getting old.

I have not checked out that O'day, I am interested to see that boat, it is at another location so I have to wait for the weekend.
Old 03-17-2011

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
John:
I really don't know if this is something that you might be interested in. This is a boat being sold by an acquaintance of mine who has "aged out" of local cruising.

I have agreed to manage the Craigslist posting for him.

35' Columbia 10.7 Sailboat

http://home.comcast.net/~djodenda/Columbia_10_7.html

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 03-17-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2011

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
That being said, with similar parameters, I wound up with one of these:
1988 CS Merlin Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I don't know if this meets your price requirements, but she's been a great boat.

Oh, and you are welcome for muddying the waters for you further!

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 03-17-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-17-2011

I have looked at both of these boats, strongly considered taking a look at the 10.7. The engine hours scared me away. Any insight on the C&C 39?
Old 03-17-2011

Here is a good review on the C&C 39
C&C 39
You have probably read it.

I would say for me the atomic 4 is the big risk, then again I know a lot of people who love there atomic 4's. It all depends what you are trying to do with the boat. If you just want a fun boat I would say go with something for much less money that will match up well with the C&C in motion comfort and capsize ratio... the only sacrifice would be hull speed. Get a diesel engine and a boat at least from the 80's unless you like 70's boats. If you just want to race and occasionally sleep on your boat then I would say go with the C&C because you will hardly ever be using the atomic 4 anyways. If you are looking to cruise more and race for fun a few times a month, any boat can compete in its specif class, so I would go with something a little more cruiser friendly. Not saying full keel, but just a little more family oriented production boat like a Catalina 320 or a Hunter 33. Also this may help you down the line in comparing boats Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2500+ boats
Even if you were looking to go C&C something like this may be ultimately a better purchase... http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=75315&url=

Plus you may want to try to find a boat for sale by owner or something that you can talk down the price on, by thousands. The C&C 39 seems like it is priced on the low end but you maybe able to get similar 15 years newer and with better equipment for similar cost. Shipping is also kind of affordable if you can find a boat that you have to have. Either way the survey will tell all, so I would not get hopes up, until after survey then decide, based on repair and upgrade cost.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.