Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011

YeahJohn is on a distinguished road
That Columbia looks fun.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2011

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
John:
3220 hours is not necessarily a bad thing. Depends on how well the engine was maintained and how it was run. In general, an engine like that should be good for 5,000 hours or so.

Of course, that being said, you want to make sure that the engine is in good shape. It would be a killer to replace. I'd get an engine survey for sure.

But I want to make sure there is no conflict of interest here. If you want to speak to the owner, I can set that up. He's a nice guy, and the boat is in Lake Union. I probably shouldn't comment further.

But, to keep things interesting, if you are seriously considering the Merlin, let me know and I will show you mine and take you sailing. The boat is in Edmonds.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 03-17-2011

bizirka is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input guys. Lots to think about.
Old 03-21-2011
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
I'd go with the 39. I don't care what Jeff says, these boats are stiff in heavy air and will probably out-point and sail the flat bottom boats on upwind legs. They are well built and designed by actual Naval Architects (not wannabees). Where they suffer is in downwind sailing because they are not a planing hull. So you race PHRF and correct your finish time, who freakin cares if the boat is fast off the wind?? Competetive go fast downwind boats that race on non-corrected time (one designs) are for rich folks who have way more money to spend on a boat than someone looking for a 30-50k boat that sails well.

The 39 is a nice looking boat, although the double settee salon looks a bit cramped for her narow hull form (a dinette and single settee would have worked better). I think it would be fine for daysailing and weekending however. Living aboard might be tiny bit cramped but then again it would also make a nice conversion into a bluewater boat because of her construction and hull form. The boat will sail nicely in everything but very light winds (5kts or less). I know; I have a C&C designed Newport 41. You can easily refit that atomic 4 engine with an equivalently sized Beta Marine Diesel (kubota). At 39.5k her asking price is a bit high for her age and condition. You might offer 30 and see if it's accepted.
Old 03-21-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't buy any IOR boat. But that's just me. I don't think the rule promoted sea worthy. Plenty of other boats that are easier to sail with less people and won't go pearshaped in big breeze downwind.
Old 03-21-2011
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
I wouldn't buy any IOR boat. But that's just me. I don't think the rule promoted sea worthy. Plenty of other boats that are easier to sail with less people and won't go pearshaped in big breeze downwind.
The 73 and my 60's era hull design 41 are not IOR designs. They are late CCA and do not suffer from the issues that the late IOR boats did. They do get a bit rolly when running downwind with swell in light air but that's about it. I know of more than one C&C 39 has circumnavigated.

The only issue with the 39 is that the hull is balsa cored; but they used plenty of resin back then and very few C&C's have had core failure of the hull. The decks were a bigger problem as is true for all balsa cored decks; the deck hardware allows water to penetrate into the core if there is a leak. This is prevented by epoxy potting the holes while re-bedding or installing new deck hardware.

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 03-21-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If you compare the early C&C 39 to the C&C38MKIII suggested earlier in this thread you'd see the marked difference between the two.. The later 38 is a result of the latter IOR era and has some strong distortions, esp from certain angles that you won't see in the older 39.

I'm sure the 39 is better mannered boat - but probably has 2 feet of more less beam.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-22-2011

bizirka is on a distinguished road
I agree with the interrior comment, I wish it didnt have the pilot births. I agree they are extremely useful for passage making but I would prefer a better use of the room down below. I guess I cant be too picky when buying an under 40K boat. I just don't want to spend my entire income on upkeep with the hydrolics and the balsa core.
Old 03-22-2011

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
The 73 and my 60's era hull design 41 are not IOR designs. They are late CCA and do not suffer from the issues that the late IOR boats did. They do get a bit rolly when running downwind with swell in light air but that's about it. I know of more than one C&C 39 has circumnavigated.

The only issue with the 39 is that the hull is balsa cored; but they used plenty of resin back then and very few C&C's have had core failure of the hull. The decks were a bigger problem as is true for all balsa cored decks; the deck hardware allows water to penetrate into the core if there is a leak. This is prevented by epoxy potting the holes while re-bedding or installing new deck hardware.
I've surveyed ten 39 - 44' older C&C's in the last two years. 8 out of 10 had seriously wet balsa core in the bottom which would cost far more than the value of the boat to repair. Their day is over.
Old 03-22-2011
STARBOARD!!

How do you explain that the original Balsa Cored Hull C&C circa 1965 is still sailing with no core rot? Google "C&C Red Jacket" or go to cncphotoalbum.com and look it up. The boat was inspected several times by removing core sections and no core failure was ever found. What methods did you use to measure 'core moisture'?? If you did not cut core sections and check inside you can't know for sure. Most owners will not allow this to be done; and many boats are incorrectly deemed 'wet' when they are dry as a bone (by surveyors who think a moisture meter is the all telling device to be used on hulls with wet copper clad bottom paint).

I would argue that many of the C&C's that have been wet over the years really were not. I have seen cored C&C's with thru-hulls that go directly through the balsa core with no potting have internal cores that are just fine.

If you have a C&C surveyed find a surveyor who specializes in the inspection of cored hulls!!

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 03-22-2011 at 07:34 PM.