SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   A Captain's Reputation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/72838-captains-reputation.html)

Interaxions 03-16-2011 09:57 AM

A Captain's Reputation

I posted earlier about what people would recommend for a truly seaworthy boat if money were not a problem up to 450k.

I think what I feel MOSt comfortable with, whether the boat is 250k or 450k is the reputation of the Captain, and what others feel about how he or she has kept the vessel.

IF YOU HAD TO PICK BY CAPTAIN, knowing of course they want to sell, or know of a good boat for sale,

WHAT CAPTAIN WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?

Thanks

THIS for me is becoming a VERY IMPORTANT CRITERIA, because OBVIOUSLY tthe best captains are going to keep their ship well and have figured out the creature comforts.

SO THERE's A CHALLENGE!

mitiempo 03-16-2011 10:31 AM

MaineSail of course.:D

kd3pc 03-16-2011 10:34 AM

+1 for MaineSail...stand up guy across the board

lickingcardboard 03-16-2011 11:46 AM

I am a newer boat owner, I am following MianeSail's advice on re bedding and other issues for my new"used" boat. MaineSail. from a noob

Tim R. 03-16-2011 11:48 AM

Sorry, already sold my last Boat!

Yes, definitely Mainesail.

mitiempo 03-17-2011 10:32 AM

MaineSail wins hands down!:D

Tim R. 03-17-2011 11:14 AM

I do not think MS is selling.

That being said, I think most owner/captains who have kept up their boats very well will often sell via the private market before going to YW. Reputation is everything as has been confirmed here. Every boat I have owned I have improved and sold for 25-30% more than what I paid and usually to the first looker via private listings or word of mouth.

I bought my present boat this way because it was good enough to market honestly. By honestly I mean the seller provided information on all the good and bad stuff. I found it via word of mouth.

So ask around the local marinas and clubs or check out some of the boat specific forums for those really good boats that get passed around outside of mainstream sources like YW.

djodenda 03-17-2011 01:01 PM

Mainsail.

You have found the "Magic Question' at Sailnet. It's the only thing we all agree on!

Interaxions 03-18-2011 05:15 PM

So if MainSail wins....

How do I find him and contact him.

ALSO I am seriously looking at "Moonshadow" a 62' scandi deerfoot by Dashew.

Anyone Know this boat or George Bacchus the present owner?

Their website is sailmoonshadow.com

He just finished a multi-year circumnav

SO How do I get in touch with MAINSAIL?

Thanks

David L

Tim R. 03-18-2011 06:56 PM

Use the PM feature of Sailnet. He would be more than happy to help you out.

If that does not work, I can have him contact you.