Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011

mtboat is on a distinguished road
Would you buy this boat?

This Midship 25, is on Craigslist. The main faults are, the cockpit drains plug up and currently there is 2 inches of water in the foreward cabin. There is also stains where it has flooded before. Snow load has tore a stanchion loose, and cracked the fiberglass a little. Exterior wood needs refinished. Wiring needs total redo. Any opinions welcome. I just spent a few hours reading up on them, and I need some unbiased info.

Here is the link: Midship 25 Sailboat Center Cockpit

I mostly sail lakes, though the possibility of the Gulf, and Florida Keys is in view on the horizon. This boat has a few years in the Bahamas.

Anybody care to take a look and offer up some info?
Old 03-27-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboat View Post
This Midship 25, is on Craigslist. The main faults are, the cockpit drains plug up and currently there is 2 inches of water in the foreward cabin. There is also stains where it has flooded before. Snow load has tore a stanchion loose, and cracked the fiberglass a little. Exterior wood needs refinished. Wiring needs total redo. Any opinions welcome. I just spent a few hours reading up on them, and I need some unbiased info.

Here is the link: Midship 25 Sailboat Center Cockpit

I mostly sail lakes, though the possibility of the Gulf, and Florida Keys is in view on the horizon. This boat has a few years in the Bahamas.

Anybody care to take a look and offer up some info?
I'd run far and fast. There are many reasons, but this is the big one: the boat doesn't appear to have been stored properly in the winter. Cracked fiberglass around a stanchion, the inevitable ingress into the deck core, freeze/thaw expansion and contraction = very bad stuff for a boat. Standing water, etc... all goes through the same process. Sails are old and patched, read the boat needs new sails. The general lack of care and basic maintenance tells me this is likely to be a very expensive boat to fix, and at $4500 to start? I'd pass.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2011

sidney777 is on a distinguished road
No I wouldn't buy it. For $4500 and lower you can find many sailboats in better shape and not in an ABANDONDED like condition.... I have recently been looking on internet at ALOT of problem & cheaper sailboats for a newbie friend of mine. In my humble opinion; Compared to the sailboats I have been looking at from midwest,east coast, and Florida, your boat might be selling for $1500-$2000. Partly because of the trailer.
....But if the Midship has a Cult like following and /or was known like a Contessa,etc, I could see a higher price. ....
With all the things wrong it may have other things wrong that you don't see. Like the centerboard and crank mechanics and structural items. I would say have a backup Outboard engine and backup sails .
--If you love the boat you can fix what you describe. . *Water inside--you can find and fix leaks. Stanchions can be re-attached. Bow pulpit can be hard to fix/replace. Cushions missing can be hundreds of dollars.
**In his backyard and has WATER in it ! If I really wanted it, I might pay $800.
Old 03-28-2011
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Nope.
Old 03-28-2011

exitstrategy1972 is on a distinguished road
Down here in SF, the berkley marina has a half a dozen boats that appear in better shape that they are in the process of destroying/auctioning...
Old 03-28-2011

HPLou is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HPLou
Not a chance. He would have to make an offer to me to take it away for him. You can get a boat in much better shape for the amount you would pay for this boat and the money you would sink into this boat before you could even launch it.
Old 03-28-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
This boat has been for sale for a while.

Midship 25 for sale, Spokane Washington

They are an interesting boat, but he wants big money for a project with an obsolete engine. Having said that, prices for decent ones seem to be higher than I would expect.

I dunno, unless you really need to have a Dawson 26/Midship 25/Essex 26, keep looking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-28-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
No.

Examining evidence will only build a story of how she was cared for. The discrepancies you actually find will always be just the beginning, even on a brand new boat. You never want one that suggests there will be vastly more than you find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-28-2011

turbulicity is on a distinguished road
Run away fast. Standing water inside will also mean rotten bulkheads. Sounds like a big project overall. I wouldn't take it if was given free.
Old 03-28-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
If you want a project then go for it. But not at that price obviously!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus