Thinking of downsizing from a P10M to a westerly centaur 26 - Page 2 - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 Old 04-04-2011
We have a 34' boat that really is extremely easy to dock single handed. I can't imagine that the 10m would be any more difficult... time and repetition is your friend as I'm sure you know. Anchor handling? Do you have a windlass? All said though, it sounds like you've made your choice, so own it and have fun! PHRF racers love the 10m and it's very sweet rating so you shouldn't have a lot of trouble selling.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 12 Old 05-01-2011
Seasoned Salt
I owned a Centaur for over 20 yrs, and lived aboard for over 3. Most cons mentioned about them, and twin keelers in general, are by people with no extensive experience with them. A Centaur will go to windward well, just not as well as a boat with a deep keel. It is not the twin keels that are an issue, but that they are shallower than a boat with a 5ft or better keel. However, in their favor is that when heeled over the leeward keel is close to vertical in the water which makes for good resistance to leeway. I have seen matches between a Centaur and a Permbroke - same boat but single keel - and there was little discernible difference in pointing or speed. Far more important are the cut of the sails and trimming skills of the sailors.

Centaur's are very tough for their size. These were made for sailing in the North Sea, after all and built to Lloyd's standards - mine came with a certificate. They handle chop very well and are far stiffer than typical sailboats. Do not compare with a Catalina or Hunter in toughness or stability! The Westerly's were much better. They are great boats for waters like the Chesapeake. You can go lots of places with a 3ft draft, and if caught on a falling tide the boat stays upright. Cleaning the bottom regularly is very easy for same reason.

As for outboard vs inboard, I think if you are into coastal cruising you can do that. I would not want to go long distance blue water with an outboard, but hey, Robin Graham did it. Btw, my Centaur came with a 4cyl FWC engine, so not all had the Volvo's.

There are 3 different layouts. Most early boats have what became the "A" fore/aft seating dinette on the port side. More common in later years is the "B" layout "L" shaped dinette. There were a few "C" layouts that had side to side seating.

I recommend for a variety of reasons 1974 and later models as there were some design changes that are well worth having. But FWIW the Centaur I know that circumnavigated was a modified - heavily modified, late 1960's vintage. As mentioned upstream here you might look for a Berwick. Like a big brother Centaur, about 31.5ft and standing headroom all the way fwd for most of us.

btw, Practical Sailor did a review of the Centaur several years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trekka CSY33

Last edited by Trekka; 05-01-2011 at 03:11 AM. Reason: addition
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.