Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb "tommays" is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
When buying a House OR Boat fixing stuff that should already work may make it more desirable on the resale market but it is always questionable how much you will get back

The less you pay the more likely the systems are near the end of there useful life.
"Deferred Maintenance" is the painful bite that reality puts on bargain-obsessive boat shoppers.

You might find a 40 year old boat with all needed upgrades done, at a really low price because the owner just lost his/her job... but do not count on it happening often in the real world! (And being first in that line is a matter of luck, too!)

More likely you will find a classic Cal, Ericson. Tartan, or C&C that needs some major upgrades and maintenance. If you find one that has all the work done already and is priced twice what the others are, it's probably worth every dollar.
In the end, you have to live within your monetary budget and your time budget.

One place to look, other than the Classy Classifieds, is the "for sale" forums in owner sites like EricsonYachts.org: The Starting Point on Ericson Yachts!.

Happy shopping,
L
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Physically look at as many boats as possible. If you don't know boats well the listings aren't enough to get a good idea of space etc.
Old 04-05-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by benajah View Post
...Best part about it though, buying something wasn't my idea, it was hers, so Iím not in the doghouse for wanting to buy a toy!
You are so lucky she wants a boat. Now you want to keep her onboard so really listen to what she wants. Go shopping with her, have her take notes of what she likes and dislikes and carefully work it into the type of boat the two of you want to buy.

Are you experienced sailors? If not, then the smaller boat is what you want and I would recommend a Cal 20 as a starter, a very responsive boat. A recent book Black Feathers, is about outfitting and entering a Cal 20 in the Trans Pac race. I was surprised how much was spent on outfitting the boat for a race to Hawaii. There is an active Cal 20 fleet in San Francisco Bay. You could also consider the Folkboat 25, which is very stable with a heavy keel and also has an active fleet, It just plows through the waves with a stable feeling to it. A really nice handling deepwater sailboat is the Albin Vega 27. Boats easily adapted to trailering, although expensive, are the Flicka 20 and Pacific Sea Craft 25. All the above boats are listed in John Vigorís book, Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere. If you are considering going into the Pacific, better think of a sailboat that you could take you anywhere, a real blue water boat. Boat length does not always equate to a seaworthy sailboat, but if you want the 32 to 37 foot range, get Twenty Affordable Sailboats to Take You Anywhere and get one of those sailboats.

If you want to work on a sailboat, itís much easier to do if you have it where you live which means trailering it. No slip fees so you might even make money on the boat, or at least loose less. I would buy a sailboat that was expensive when new and needed some cosmetic work, like teak that needed refinishing, and other minor stuff.
Old 04-05-2011
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
I would agree that you need to get on as many boats as possible to start getting a feel for what you want. One great way is to look for brokerages in the area having an open boat day. There is one near me that does that almost every Sunday I think, and I think it is usual in other places too. Basically its a day when they open all the boats they have for sale (or most of them) and just let people wander through. I found it helpful to just sit on a boat for 30 minutes, without the sales people right there making you feel like you need to get moving. Sit on the seats, are they still comfy after sitting for while? I found a few brands that where just the wrong shape for me, so I scratched them all off my list (unless the inside had been rebuilt.)

And if you find private sellers with boats you are interested in, do not be shy about asking to see it. Sure, you might want to mention you are still in the early stages of looking, and only want to see it if i is not a bother, but many people will be happy to show you the boat anyway. Partly because it is fun and helpful to you and partly because you never know, this might turn out to be your perfect boat, or you might mention it to a friend. Hey, it's part of selling a boat. Do not be too worried about wasting their time, just be honest and go see the ones who have the time for you.
Old 04-05-2011

Spend some time, look at a lot of boats, everone else does when they are going to buy a boat it seems. One thing though, if you find the "perfect boat" walk a way from it and think about it for a day or so.

Take a look at ebay (never buy here unless you actually inspect the boat), save likely boats in My Ebay and see what they sell for. I think of these as real prices of what sailboats are worth now days. I was surprised on how cheap sailboats are.
Old 04-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Ebay sales of boats are all but never at full value. Too often, they have some hidden fatal flaw (read "as is"). However, they also can represent sellers who are willing to accept less to avoid the one on one sales process. An auction is the highest price achieved from a limited audience and limited time frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-05-2011

YeahJohn is on a distinguished road
Do not go into this thinking you will make any money. Yes you may be able to sell the boat for more than you bought it for, but you will pay for every upgrade with way less return.

My advice may differ from most but I would look for the cheapest boat that comes with the most stuff. Stuff equals money. Those extra sails, shore power cables, flare guns, life sling, fire extinguishers, canvas, seat cushions, tools, all add up to thousands of dollars you are not spending. Make sure when buying the boat you get everything.

In your price range stick to craigslist and local marina postings (go walk around the marina and look on message board around the marina, plenty of boats for sale), and only spend about half of your anticipated budget, I would suggest maybe even a quarter of your budget. You should know things like where you are going to keep the boat. Your marina may only have 25' slips available, so that means a 28' boat wont work for you. It is way to better to know this stuff a head of time so think about your options.

If you buy a boat for $5000 a would suggest using common sense and a friend from a local yacht club vs. a survey, another thing is most boats have a semi recent survey if you just ask or look through paper work. You want to make sure that standing rigging and running rigging are intact and that the boat has a complete sail inventory, semi-recent bottom paint is always a plus, and I also enjoy expense and service records. Have fun, and when you find a few boats post them here and everyone will gladly give you their opinion.
Old 04-05-2011
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
If you have not already; you should also consider joining a sailing school/club. Get your certification and do some sailing on charter boats to help you decide what size of boat you like and what would feel comfortable sailing on the bay and beyond. Tradewinds has some older ~30' Ericsons they use as training boats. OCSC uses J-boats and is more performance oriented. If you want to get a taste of what sailing in a small boat out in the heaviest wind I'd go on an intro sail with OCSC or Cal Sailing Club (but I don't know if CSC goes out into the central bay)

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 04-05-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I agree with IslanderGuy and others who suggest looking at a lot of boats. I would start now, and as IG said, just be honest about being early in the process. I think looking while you are not quite "ready" might be perfect--without the push to buy right away you can hone your looking skills and increase your knowledge of what's out there and what you both like.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 04-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
Cal Sailing Club (but I don't know if CSC goes out into the central bay)
It's been decades, but Cal Sailing Club got me started. It's cheap and I found the instruction to be good, mostly University of California students. I don't know if they still have them, but there were a few keelboats that could be taken into the Bay. Their main boats for instruction were centerboard. Be prepared to get wet though and have proper gear for that. Cal Sailing is located in the Berkeley Marina, turn left at the stop sign then curve around to the right and then look for the second building on the left beyond the parking lot if they still have the same location. If not, ask at the harbor master’s office across the street on the right.

If you want to spend the money on ASA courses, I hear these folks are good: Modern Sailing School & Club - San Francisco Bay Sailing Lessons, Charters and Rentals, Adventure Sailing

Last edited by LakeSuperiorGeezer; 04-05-2011 at 05:48 PM.