Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Considering a C&C 30 MK II

I currently own a C&C 30 MK I vintage 1972.

I found a 30 MK II I am interested in.

Of course I will get a full survey, etc. However, I was hoping some of the current or past owners here could give me a heads up as to problem areas I could investigate on my own before paying for the survey.

The problem is, so far everything I have read had nothing but good things to say about this model

Come on, give me the bad news, talk me down from the ledge before I jump
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I would look at this as a, is the mk II a better sailor than the Mk I. Did the BAD IOR traits hit the Mk II version etc. ALong with is the mkII a nicer better newer boat etc.

Then why go with the same boat but newer? If there is a mkIII as I am recalling, I believe it is a better sailor than the 2, which is worst than the mk I. BUT, I could be wrong.......

If it were me, I would go with the 2-4foot itis vs the no foot and newer boat, unless the one I had was in pretty bad shape, or this one is too good vs the old one.........

Marty
Old 04-05-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I believe the MkII is the Rob Ball design of the mid-to-late 80s.

It's quite a different boat from the earlier model, of course. She may have some IOR bumps of the day but I think it's a nice boat just the same. We did have one in our club that had some issues, IIRC a bulkhead repair was needed, it was a bit of a major job - but that may well have been an exception to the rule.

But in a way Marty's right - in today's market maybe a similar vintage 33 would be a better step up??

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-05-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Faster,

If MK II is a mid to late 80's model, many of the IOR bumps have been taken out after the fastnet fiasco. IF a really early 80, ie 80-82, some of the bumps may be there. But my 85 build ie 83-88 built jeanneau hull from TOny Castro at the time, does not show the IOR issues from the late 70's before Fastnet. Again, I could be wrong on this.

Marty
Old 04-06-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
The MK II is the late 80's ('88?)to mid 90's ('95?) version. It sports a very nice layout down below with an aft head and cabin, Island galley, more hatches, a walk through transom, etc.

I single hand or have non sailing crew aboard so I don't feel the need for anything over 30 ft. Other boats on my short list are the Pearson 31-1 or the Tartan 3100, but they don't check all the boxes on my list.

The MK I is a well built boat and a solid performer but it lacks some of the creature comforts I now desire.

I believe there where only two C&C 30 MK (I and II) versions.

There where some design modifications over the years to the MK I and some people may refer to the early 1980's MK I as a MK II. This, I believe, is incorrect. Someone with more knowledge may chime in here and correct me if I am wrong.
Old 04-06-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I think you're on the mark, Rob... eg the C&C 35 definitely went through a Mks I, II and III evolutions with all three visibly different boats, esp the deck mold for the MkII (not sure if the hull was a major mod) and finally the MkIII which was the '80s upgrade that much of the line went through.

The C&C 27 went through various renditions as well, but towards the end of the run when C&C changed the portlight designs on the 30 which updated the look quite a bit, not sure that was a 'Mk" change really.

One would expect that each Mk upgrade would have been a significant design change, either deck or hull or both.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-06-2011

AdamHowie is on a distinguished road
There is a C&C30 at my local boat yard, not sure what year/version, but it is such a nice boat, as you already know! There are no downsides! Just be carefull not to catch 2-foot itus. Since it is your second boat you should have no problems!

Adam
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-06-2011

AdamHowie is on a distinguished road
Pretty sure it is a MkI
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-06-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Good friend had a C&C 30 MKII for a number of years. Nice boat. Nice open spacious interior, but not much privacy for 2 couples. The aft cabin is tight. Nice sailing boat and reasonably quick for its size. No particular issues that I am aware of.