Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011
dadio917

dadio917 is on a distinguished road
purchase price versus asking price

am looking at cruising boats in the $150-$300k range. Big range! Anyone have rule of thumbs on the actualy purchase price relative asking in this dragging economy? recent sales?
Apprciate any info i can get
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2011

Bartlettsrise is on a distinguished road
Purchase Price

Hi at the end of the day you have to be happy with what you paid.
For me the boat was on the market for $435K I offered $375K I paid $385 for her six weeks later. I had another boat offered to me for $365 when the asking price was $450k that had been on the market for about a year (starting Price was $499K).

That is here in Australia. But I would think that if you watch the market and choose the boat you want (depending on how long it's been on the market for) you should knock off 20-30% of the asking price. I would think that this is the start of the negotiation Phase. They can only say no! But I waited six weeks and had a phone call from them asking if I was still interested.
Be cheeky you never know. What's the worst that can happen? "No" oh well move on next boat on the list. If you really want the boat then you will pay what is required to secure the boat.

Hope this helps.
Jason
Old 04-10-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
When I bought my boat in December, my broker was able to get me a print out from soldboats.com for the make and model I was looking at. Based on that I found out that the average difference between asking and sold price was 11%.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Old 04-11-2011

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
It could be anywhere from 0 to 50%. Really depends on how realistic the seller is being. When I sold my last yacht I started high and lowered the price by $10k every two / three months until it sold. However I've seen yachts on the market for over 5 years and the price has'nt changed!!!!

Ilenart
Old 04-11-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
There is no simple percentage. Markets in different areas of the country (and world) are different, and asking prices are all over the place. Some mint boats are price fairly and sell quickly for the asking price. Others are overpriced and never sell. Using sources like soldboat.com, nada, bucvalu are ways to get a handle on the market. Easier to do for boats sold in large numbers like Catalina but very difficult with rarer boats that sell in very low numbers.
Old 04-11-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I know of an X-119 that has been on the market for 8 yrs or there abouts. Some due to the wife saying "SELL THE BOAT!". So a price has been set at 30% more than it should be. I know of a person that made an offer, bought a different 119, then sold it 4 yrs later. In the mean time this boat is still for sale!

The question will become as said, how much do you want "THIS" boat? to is the boat really for sale?

Marty