Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011

Acheron is on a distinguished road
Reasonable price for selling Ham Radio and Air Conditioner?

Hi guys,

I just bought a Cal 35 footer which came with an iCOM IC-718 Ham Radio as well as an air conditioner and since I will not be needing this I figured I would sell them. I do not however know the least of what these things are worth and how to determine a reasonable selling price.

What information is important to a buyer in regards to the air conditioner?

I was hoping one of you more experienced sailors out there could point me into some direction as to what these things are worth?

Much appreciated!
Filip Peters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2011

saildork is on a distinguished road
Filip,

I can't tell you what they are worth, but you might check ebay or some other source for what these items sell for. Also, there might be a Ham club in your area where you can get an expert to tell you about the Ham rig.

Pat
Old 04-16-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
The forums at eHam.net and QRZ.com both have classified ad sections that will give you a great indication of the going prices for your 718. It has been a pretty popular radio so you should have plenty of comparison numbers and a reasonable market.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
for the a/c make model condition age working status are all things that would help.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 04-16-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Can you attest that they work properly? If not, they aren't going to be worth much to a discerning buyer. I would try to make a friend as the marina and ask for beer money. Tell the buyer they can return it within 48 hrs if they don't work, in which case they go in the dumpster. Just me.

An alternative might be to find the local electronics installation company and see if they would offer beer money for them.

Or, sell them on ebay and take your chances that the buyer is legit, just as they take the chance that the stuff works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-16-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"What information is important to a buyer in regards to the air conditioner?"
the age, the condition (works?) the shipping weight and costs. The capacity. This will probably have to be a local sale by Craigslist or a bulletin board, because shipping is an issue and the buyer will probably want to see that it works. Value? Maybe $50-100, check your classifieds to see what they get, or donate it to a thrift store be done with it.

The radio is a harder question, as you can't really tell much about it unless you are a licensed ham, or take it to a local Icom dealer for an evaluation. They are popular, but you don't know if it has been modified, or is in good working order, and the buyer is throwing the dice without that information. If you can't find a local Icom dealer, try to find a local ham radio club, and see if you can get someone to take a look at it. They might even make you an offer. Otherwise...that one's good for eBay, but worth only a fraction unless you know exactly what it is and how well it works.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.