Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Send a note to dimitri Orlov - he lives on a minuscule boat in Boston with his wife, for a number of years.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2011

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFireSail View Post
Hi, everyone. I'm looking to purchase my first boat and I want to live aboard. I'm young and single so I figured now is as good a time as any. I think I have the theory behind sailing pretty well covered, I have just never put it into practice and I don't know most of the terminology yet. I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

I want to make sure I get a good vessel that won't leave me stranded somewhere or sinking should I wind up in a storm. I'm looking to spend under $6,000 if at all possible and I think that 23-30 feet would be pretty good. (Please feel free to bring me back to earth if you think I have my head up too far in the clouds. I'm really hard to offend.) I really only need something with minimal storage, sleeping area for 2, a stove would be nice but is not necessary, must have a toilet and a shower would be a HUGE bonus. I'm an electrician by trade so I'm planning on mooring off shore and kayaking into shore every day to go to work. I'm also planning on adding solar panels to the vessel so I don't have to charge the batteries on shore. At some point I'm planning on adding a water maker so I don't have to buy water on shore.

If you need any more information from me, please feel free to ask. If you have any idea what year, make, model, length, etc. I should look for, please give me any suggestions you can. If you know where I can find a boat like this, that's even better. I live on the east coast so I'd prefer if that's where she was. Preferably from Rhode Island to the Carolinas so I don't have to travel too far.

Thanks in advance!

-Kyle
I know there are some good books out there about living aboard a sailboat and of course sailing too. Search online at amazon for start. Checkout sailboatlistings.com or sailingtexas.com or yachtworld.com I find those three sites have a good selection of used boats. From what I have read around, if you see a boat you are interested in, have a surveyor check it out for you first prior to purchasing. You don't want to end up with something that has a hull leak, soft spots, weak mast support, etc. If I were you and from what you are saying, you can probably get away with a good 25ft since its just you. Plus those are not too big too learn on and still decent room for one person and you can find one in good condition within your price range. While you are onboard living on it, you can read some books, watch youtube videos and come on these forums and read. You can learn a lot just doing that if you want to. You will also want to start learning about sailboat maintenance. I am not sure about the whole offshore mooring idea you have. I say get a marina slip which can include... electricity, water, laundry facilities, showers, etc or try inshore mooring somewhere. The weather and conditions can get really bad offshore during storms and high winds. I would have a nervous breakdown if I was at work and a storm hit knowing my home/yacht was offshore moored. Its leaving your boat unattended on offshore mooring, thats where the main problem is at. You can moor offshore on nice weather days off and on but check your marine forecast since it can change quickly.

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
"You will also want to start learning about sailboat maintenance."

Especially with that budget.