Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road
Market Maddness...

I am looking to buy a boat and recent trips have turned up what were once nice boats when placed in the ads are now boats languishing on the hard or at the dock receiving little to no attention.

With the market being flat apparently these boats are spending lots of time sitting and waiting.

I have this theory that boats go on the market 2-3 years after the current owners are no longer using the boat very much, generally different interests, getting older, suspect there is a laundry list of reasons. Regardless, the boat sits 2-3 yrs with little use, a decision is then made to put the boat on the market and add another year or two waiting and you have some nice photos taken when some "cleaning" was done and now the boat is not looking so sharp.

I have a figure in my head for the price and size we want, I also have money set aside for the "other stuff" that is needed when buying a used boat. The problem is the price being asked and quality of the boat and equipments offered is pretty far from reality of what the ads show based on the inevitable march of time.......

The other part of this is the current owner is lowering the price in the dead market, paying bills and fees and seeing the value of the boat decrease due to age, neglect and enter a death spiral of "No sale".

Have any other buyers seen this trend? Is this a by product of the current market? Is this common based on my notional scenario? Or in summary am I full of shyte?

Thoughts?
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
I think you are right on, especially at this time with the economy.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 04-25-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Trying to explain to a seller that his pride and joy is not really worth what he/she thinks it is worth can be a tough row to hoe.
Whizz, the best way to get a deal when buying a boat is to get proactive, rather than reactive. Instead of reacting to boats that you see advertised, place some ads yourself:
"New sailor with CASH looking for cruising sailboat, up to 36 ft in length, with four or more berths, enclosed head and diesel inboard." or similar. You will get responses from people who haven't even put their boats on the market yet, children who want to off-load dad's old boat etc., and because the price has not been set, you have the ability to gently show them reality.
Additionally, look at retaining a buyer's broker. Get some referrals, and talk to the guy who is referred most often. Explain to him what you want, what you are willing to spend, that you are serious and that you want the right boat, right now. It will also save you a ton of time talking to different brokers in different places.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2011
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road
One year ago I was in your position and experienced exactly the same problems. I traveled throughout New England and in most cases the boats were junk compared to their YachtWorld images and descriptions. Perhaps “aged” is a more polite way to say that. My advice is to be very skeptical of any boat that has been listed more than a few weeks or a couple of months.

If you are internet savvy I would not use a buyer’s broker. My search went much better once I started contacting listing brokers directly as they are very interested in selling you the boat themselves because they don’t have to split the commission.

Be prepared to move on a new listing quickly if the boat is in great shape as they sell quickly. Always get a survey.

I think the idea of posting a proactive “buyers” ad on area Craigslists and such is a great one. Last year I was so frustrated I wanted to create a YachtBuyersWorld for just that purpose. What class/type/era boat are you looking for?

Chris

1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Old 04-26-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Going straight to a good sellers broker worked well for me too.

Be patient as the well-cared for boats are out there. The previous owner of my boat had the engine serviced AFTER I'd put an offer in - he really looked after the boat and continued to do so even after it was put up for sale.

When you find the right boat, then is the time NOT to be patient. Put an offer in quickly as the good ones do seem to be selling very rapidly even (I hate this term) "in this economy"

The phenomenon where something starts overpriced, and then the price is lowered too slowly, resulting in no sale, is not confined to boats. It is very common in the housing market right now. Unrealistic expectations based on what something USED to be worth.
Old 04-26-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
I have seen this trend for the at least the last 10 years. It is just more pronounced now and seems to be affecting more boats as they sit longer.

The last boat I bought off YW sold in less than a week. Seller needed money for 3 kids in college and decided to sell in May and accepted my offer 6 days later.

All of my boats have sold through private markets. All have been restored and in much better condition then when I bought them. Each one was sold as a consequence of an upgrade. Never because I stopped using them. None of them sat on the market for more than 2 weeks and all sold above the average market value. The most recent being one year ago in this "soft" market. The last boat I bought was through a private deal. Much better for knowledgeable buyers and sellers.

I believe that some of the best boats never get to YW. Ask around the yacht clubs and marinas in your area. You may find a very nice boat that has not yet had the chance to deteriorate from neglect.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 04-26-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-26-2011

interesting feedback

Thanks to all for the insight,
nothing here that I am too surprised at. I do have the option of time right now, can go another 12 months before I "need" the boat. I'm trying to get a feel for the ebb and flow and from what I am reading is the good ones go fast, the overpriced ones just sit and make the search a cluttered mess. I'll keep my eyes peeled and continue to evaluate. Every month I don't own a boat between now and summer I save $1,000 (money I can put to the price or upgrades).

I'll keep in mind the more aggressive/proactive approach for when I have more urgency and time.

Cheers
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

Old 04-27-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

About how much $ are you looking to spend. In my experience, if you are looking to spend under 10K most brokers don't want to deal with you and you will most likely deal with owners directly. And dealing with owners is always a crap shoot. Some are realistic, many are just crazy. If you do deal with brokers, finding a good one is the most important thing. A good broker won't waste your or his time, will know the boats he represents, and can accurately state the condition of them. A bad broker won't be able to find half the boats he represents, and won't have any idea of condition.

Good luck,
Barry
Mt. Sinai, NY

Old 04-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hello,

About how much $ are you looking to spend. In my experience, if you are looking to spend under 10K most brokers don't want to deal with you and you will most likely deal with owners directly. And dealing with owners is always a crap shoot. Some are realistic, many are just crazy. If you do deal with brokers, finding a good one is the most important thing. A good broker won't waste your or his time, will know the boats he represents, and can accurately state the condition of them. A bad broker won't be able to find half the boats he represents, and won't have any idea of condition.

Good luck,
Barry

Barry,
hoping to keep the entire thing under $100k; for example buy/finance $80K boat and keep the "extras" and repairs and other incidentals to under $20K. Of course if I find the right boat for $75K for lock, stock and barrel then even better. I have a broker, he seems quite knowledgeable and understands our goals. My frustration, if that's the right word, is about the load of less than sterling boats on the market. I have plenty of time I guess, just thought this would be a might easier.
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

Old 04-28-2011

Parclan is on a distinguished road
Just sold our `99 36' sailboat "in this market" with little fuss, really. Had a good broker, who had a good buyer looking for a well cared for boat, and we priced it at the upper middle of the price range for this boat. My son is about to buy a boat, has done some traveling to see what was advertised, and has had only positive experiences. But he has, as I did when I went 750 miles to see the boat I bought, insisted the seller or seller's broker e-mail him current pics - like taken in the past week - or he would not travel to see the boat.