Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
The more I research this boat on the net the more I like it. Or at least I like the design of it and some of its capabilities. At first I thought it was a typical boat of that era. Too heavy and too much of a throwback to boats that were designed to be built out of wood. Still as far as a fixer upper and as a first boat for a beginner I am not sure that it is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2011

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The water comes UP from the sea along the hull and this "knuckle" sticking out is supposed to deflect the spray and make it a dryer boat for you.
That chine gives the bow more boyancy and does deflect spray. It's a very seaworthy design and confidence inspiring. It's a great boat for a beginer because she does respond to helm quickly and lets you know if what you did was right or wrong. I was slowing motoring past some slips in Punta Gorda when some &*(7%&*&*&* in a huge motor yacht backed out of his slip without looking. Most sailboats would have hit him, that little Westerly spun around on a dime.

DB
Old 04-30-2011

sidney777 is on a distinguished road
About speed on the Westerly Centaur. I have read other centaur sailors used bigger genoas and got more speed. If you look for Centaur revews you may read about speed. I liked the Centaur because it was safe in my storm experience and others. It and your -maybe- boat was made for the same North Sea. You boat and All the Westerlys(as far as I know) were given a Lloyds certificate for the excellent build of these Westerlys. ( You would have to investigate the full meaning of the Lloyds cert). Westerlys are on some of the offshore sailing sailboat lists). If you sail alot you will get caught in storms. Flicka 20 ft sailboat is one heavy,slow,very expensive sailboat that you might read about and ask yourself and others; What is the difference between my boat and the old $20,000 to $60,000+ Flicka ?
Old 04-30-2011

Does it have a rudder ?
Old 04-30-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
Here is the advertisement.

Westerly Warwick, 22', 1971, Templeton, California, sailboat for sale from Sailing Texas
Old 04-30-2011

Man, If you do get it I'd like to keep in touch. Also, may be able to answer questions that come up down the road. My Padgent had a 10hp volvo diesel. Even though I had a dual battery set up I really enjoyed starting her with the hand crank.

Found this old picture:

Jib halyard could have been a little tighter ...........

I have very fond memories of that boat. I am somewhat competitive and do enjoy the speed and pointing abilities of my present boat but I always knew that little Westerly would get me back home.

DB
Old 04-30-2011

madman960 is on a distinguished road
DB,

Just sent the owner an email confirming I will purchase the boat. Thanks for the info. It is nice to know that I am getting a quality boat that is also comfortable. I have 2 years to work on it. It appears that the entire interior is out. After I get it painted, what should I put back in or leave out? Also should I put in a wind vane auto pilot or a tiller auto pilot? Other amenities that you would recommend for long distance sailing or coastal cruising? I was thinking a desalinator, windmill for charging the batteries, and a power inverter with a solar panel. Once I get out of the military I would like to sail up the CA coast to Alaska and also down to Hawaii.

Sidney777, it should have a rudder.

MarkCK, these boats have a larger following in Europe. It is my understanding that the US has lighter winds than in parts of Europe where these boats are most popular.

Bill USMC
Old 04-30-2011

I'll have to start looking for more old photo's. Once you get pictures of the interior we'll see how close it is to the Padgent. The interior was simple but useable. I took all the wood out of my interior and put 12 coats of varnish, wet sanding between each coat ...... it gleamed! LOL Not really that much wood in there, mostly trim.

My advice is to consentrate on the basics right now and leave decisions about extra equipment after she's in the water and sailing. I've got an auto tiller in the storage compartment that's been waiting two years to get installed. I've learned to balance her out with the centerboard and a piece of bungie cord ...... 50 cents worth of bungie vs $350 un-used auto tiller. Duh. Check out Lin and Larry Pardey, read a few of their books. They've travled extensively in small boats and they tend towards the basic equipment rather than modern ..... engine-less crusing.

Have you got the wooden rub-rail? Life lines? Winches? Once you get everything home and inventoried you'll have a better understanding of what you'll need.

I'm excited for you. If you see this project through I think you will have a very proper little yacht for a reasonable investment and lots of sweat equity.

Good luck to you and I'm looking forward to progress reports!

DB
Old 04-30-2011

madman960 is on a distinguished road
The current owner said it needs rub rails and sails. Other than that he says pretty much everything else is there. He also said the head was remove before he purchased it. Thanks for the advice on the extra stuff. Is the centerboard the same thing as the tiller? I won't be home til June, but I will post pics of my progress as I go.

Bill
Old 04-30-2011

Naw, tiller thing you steer with. As an example,many outboard motors have short tiller to steer with. (But, if you get an outboard you can just keep it in one position and steer with your rudder on sailboat 90% of time. A Centerboard or -swing keel- is lowered as a keel to go down deeper in the water. It can be raised and lowered as compared to a Fixed Keel. Deep keels can keep you going "straighter" than if you have no keel and give you more stability. There is more to explain, but now you know what a centerboard is.
* ** I couldn't see a Rudder in Picture.. The tiller is in the cockpit and is about 4 ft long and you steer with it. That is what a Tillerpilot automatic pilot usually connects to.