Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011

madman960 is on a distinguished road
Westerly Warwick 22 ft Sloop

Thinking about purchasing a Westerly Warwick 22 ft Sloop. However, it needs a full assortment of sails. It also needs rub rails, and non-skid for the deck. It also needs reassembled. The purchase price for the vessel is negligible. The current owner says I should be able to finish the boat for $2,500 if I am frugal enough. I was planning for $5,000 over 2 years. Most of the work has been done to the boat.

The owner states " I have stripped the hull and interior and began the restoration. The hull has never been damaged. The really hard work has been done. I stripped off 4 coats of paint. I glassed in un necessary holes in the deck, fixed a few bilsters, applied 5 coats of West Systems Barier Coat, 4 Coats of Urethane Primer, and have applied 4 coats of Linear Poly Urethane Paint. The fall weather turned cold before I could finish the last sanding and coat of paint. I have the LPU paint to finish the job. The deck is in great physical condition and awaits a coat of non skid. I have most of the original teak wood. I planned to restore her with using white oak wood and I have purchased material for the companion way and side rails.
I have purchased sheet of 5/16" dark plexiglass for the windows and companion way. I have the mast and boom and all of the wire rigging and turn buckles. I carefully removed all of the hardware and interior pieces and it awaits installation. I have most of the hardware to go back onto her, a few common pieces stilll need to be purchased."

I have allotted 2 years and a budget of $5,000-$7,000 to buy and fix up a boat.

Thank you for your time,

Bill Sobers USMC
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Buy it if you like boatbuilding however if you like sailing RUN RUN RUN.

Buy someting that you can sail NOW!
Old 04-26-2011

I see it like this,

I am an active duty Marine with 2 years left on my current contract. I plan to use this time to get a boat and make it the way I want. I have zero boating knowledge. I figure if I finish putting this one back together, I will know a little more about maintaining a boat.
Old 04-27-2011

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
If you have $5000 to $7000 for your budget, you can definitely find something bigger, nicer and ready to sail. Plus you can save the 2 years you planning to spend working on it and do a lot of sailing. I would say you are correct about putting it back together, you can learn a lot about it by working on it. In fact I ran into the problem of doing too much sailing and not getting the things I wanted to get done on my boat. So I had to get a little strict on myself this last week and doing some work on it. I actually have been having a great time working on it and found I have yet another hobby that has been born from sailing. In the end, if you really want that particular model sailboat then maybe you can have a surveyor check it out for you before you buy it.

Last edited by sailguy40; 04-27-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2011

I have roughly $2,000 cash to purchase a boat. The other $3-$5,000 will come from working over the next 2 years as well as a chunk from the sale of my 1973 Monte Carlo. I figure since I have 2 years of active service left, I may as well build the boat as I won't have much time to sail it anyhow. My biggest concern is finding sails for it. I am not sure how many sails I will need. The owners manual lists 1 main, 3 jibs, 1 genoa, and 1 spinnaker. The owner suggested going to a roller furling system. If I do that, would I need different sails? The main reason I like this particular boat is not everyone has one. I believe a 28-35 ft boat is closer to my actual needs or wants. But I think the 22 ft boat would be a better beginners boat. I could be wrong.

Bill USMC
Old 04-28-2011

What are the advantages/ disadvantages to a double keeled boat? I would think stability but can't really think of anything else.

Bill USMC
Old 04-28-2011

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Are you wanting used sails? If you want new I have found a number of sites online which make sails. I came across them when I was looking for sails for my Cal 25 early last year. Maybe try fxsails.com or one of the others like thesailwarehouse.com Oh those links with pics of the boat don't come up for me.

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."
Old 04-28-2011

Not sure if I want new or used sails. I have found a few sailmakers online. I will see if I can fix the links.

Bill USMC
Old 04-28-2011

sidney777 is on a distinguished road
Twin keels will let the boat sit upright on land when the tide goes out (as in England or Florida ) Jack Hornor, a boat surveyor has a boat review of another Westerly sailboat, the Centaur with twin keels.
I would try my darndest to get a sailboat that I can STAND UP INSIDE.
(not saying you will do this, but, there are hundreds of boats sitting for 5-10 yrs in boat yards across the USA that people were going to fix up). I have heard about Divorces, reposessions,etc. because of project boats. But, also project boats that are finished beautifully.
..Used Sails by the thousands at Baconsails.com for $hundreds of dollars.
New Sails can be $thousands. --Twin Keels are known to be slow, I know, I had a Westerly Centaur 26. Generally, the longer the sailboat, the faster is goes.
A marine survey(appraisal) for a cheap boat can cost more than the boat. If a survey comes out -bad then the money is just gone,but, of course you learn not to buy the boat.
Old 04-29-2011

Sidney777,

According to the users manual, the 22' has 5' 10" headroom in the main cabin. I am not worried about speed until I can operate the boat properly. After I get the hang of sailing, I may get a larger boat. I have seen a few other boats in sailing condition that start around $3,000. I was just thinking about doing this to learn about maintaining boats.

Bill USMC