1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 06-25-2014
Just another Moderator

Re: C&C 30' Half Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeannJen View Post
Thanks, Shnool!
It is a beautiful boat, can't wait to get it out. Looks like it will sail beautifully, also. Has to be better than my last boat- a Bayliner Buccaneer 270-ugh!! Especially to windward.
Yes... now you actually have a Sailboat! - at least one that will sail.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 06-27-2014
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeannJen View Post
Thanks, Shnool!
It is a beautiful boat, can't wait to get it out. Looks like it will sail beautifully, also. Has to be better than my last boat- a Bayliner Buccaneer 270-ugh!! Especially to windward.
That's like going from a Trabant to a 935 Porsche - you are going to be astounded by its performance.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #23 of 31 Old 06-30-2014
Remember you're a womble

One for sale up this way too, Not a three bad looking tub

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 31 Old 07-01-2014

Same boat, has a little more interior, the pictures give ideas on how to build it in. Thanks!
post #25 of 31 Old 02-13-2015
"wooden liz'n"

Hello fellow sailors
Enjoyed this from for some time now and signed up today to participate with maybe answers and off course questions.
There is a C&C half ton for sale in Victoria BC by SALT, thanks (or maybe not) to the donor of this vessel. It is a 1979, looks to be clean and appears ready to go providing the standing rigging, machinery, hull below water checks out. This particular vessel is a hydrostatic drive, not very common for "normal" sailboat.
Any one with experience or knows about this racer ? apparently only few were build.
post #26 of 31 Old 02-13-2015
Senior Moment Member

C&C built a few of them - Sailboat Data says 12. There are 2 or 3 in B.C. and 1 or 2 in Puget Sound. Also some in S.F. Bay.

Very eccentric boats - really only useful as daysailers and PHRF racers - very obsolete as race boats. Crouching headroom and very open interiors not conducive to staying on board. Slingshot cockpit really intrudes on the interior. The deck layout and rig came from probably the worst time of the IOR - the middle of the hardware wars. The deck is covered in hardware and absolutely everything is adjustable, to absurd levels. For example, one I checked out had the main chainplates on some sort of transverse slide so the leeward rigging could be slid a few inches inboard to "improve" the trim angle on the jibsheet.

I think the real deal killer on those boats is the hydraulic drive. They all seem to have it. Aside from that you could make a pretty neat day boat out of one - they are good looking, very racy styling, and pretty fast - at least as fast as a Peterson 1/2 Ton from the same era.

C&C custom shop built them so construction quality is pretty well unquestioned.
Faster likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #27 of 31 Old 02-13-2015
Just another Moderator

^^ What he said

But the one at SALTS looks to be in as good a shape as you could possibly expect, at least going by the pics. Still a bizarre cockpit arrangement for anything but racing.

There's another rotting on a mooring buoy at Newcastle Island.. that's a sad sight.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #28 of 31 Old 02-14-2015

These boats sail wonderfully- I bought one last summer, and have had it out on San Francisco Bay several times. Light or heavy air, helm is easy and very responsive, turns on a dime, and even when over canvassed did not have to fight a bunch of weather helm. The Volvo diesel wasn't running when I got the boat, but in the process of fixing it, I discovered it is a very, very simple engine and easy to work on- dunno why everyone pooh-pooh's them, but it helps that I am a boat mechanic. The only thing I don't like about them is the hydraulic drive- the forward-reverse valve was frozen when I got the boat. I managed to free it up, but now it leaks about a quart of oil every 8 to 10 hours of running, so I am going to have to get it rebuilt- should be able to get it done at any hydraulic shop. I am reserving opinion until I get it just right. I'm sure I'll spend the next couple of years fixing the boat up, but it is basically a very sound boat, and even right now I wouldn't hesitate to take a day sail around the Farallons, or overnight up and down the coast. The interior is rather spartan, but for just one or two people on a weekend it is fine. I will know more about the boat after I haul it this fall, till then, this is what just I have experienced.
post #29 of 31 Old 02-14-2015
"wooden liz'n"

Thanks All for your comments.
I did received info from SALT regarding the hydraulic drive which is off course Volvo Hydraulics. Crazy, in the early seventies as a very young graduate, I worked for Volvo BM and our Firm took on this brand new line of Volvo Hydraulics and my job was to find applications where this new Hydraulic technology could be implemented. I left in 1975 to discover Canada and proceeded with a career in the Oil and Gas. I can not take credit for implementation of a Hydraulic drive on a sailboat, what were they thinking ? The original pump and motor are no longer available and new models have replaced the old ones. Some parts may be still available or inter changeable, however no guarantees. A new pump and motor off the shelve is going to set you back about $6,500.00 installation and additional parts and pieces are more extra. So if you buy a boat with such drive, note to self, make sure it is working 100% or you could be sticking an outboard on here tail end. On my next trip to Vancouver Island, soon I hope, I will check her out and let you know. I may need some more info from Seannjen seeing he actually sails one. Seannjen what is the PHRF for the C&C 1/2T in your area ?
Can she sail to her numbers?
Cheers, Gerard
post #30 of 31 Old 02-14-2015
Senior Moment Member

Hydraulic pumps rarely have any problems other than seals do they?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.