SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

C&C 30' Half Ton

16K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  JnTShow 
#1 ·
Can anyone offer any information about the C&C 30' 1/2 Ton?
I'm interested in a local one for sale.
I have the details off sailboatdata.com but nothing else.
Any information would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks. :)

#2 ·
Do you have a link? There's been one around here for decades, always seems to be for sale 'cheap'... I remember being on one some time back, very 'racy' with few amenities below, and an odd cockpit arrangement with 'trimmer pits' either side of the house.

Rod rigging, IIRC, and probably a bit of a bear in a breeze... I don't think this would be a short/singlehanded type of boat without a lot of mods.

#3 ·
I was hoping you'd show up Faster! The boat is in Craigslist. The seller has sent me a spec list, and I've asked to see some photos of the cockpit, no word yet. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

#37 ·
These boats sail wonderfully- I bought one last summer, and have had it out on San Francisco Bay several times. Light or heavy air, helm is easy and very responsive, turns on a dime, and even when over canvassed did not have to fight a bunch of weather helm. The Volvo diesel wasn't running when I got the boat, but in the process of fixing it, I discovered it is a very, very simple engine and easy to work on- dunno why everyone pooh-pooh's them, but it helps that I am a boat mechanic. The only thing I don't like about them is the hydraulic drive- the forward-reverse valve was frozen when I got the boat. I managed to free it up, but now it leaks about a quart of oil every 8 to 10 hours of running, so I am going to have to get it rebuilt- should be able to get it done at any hydraulic shop. I am reserving opinion until I get it just right. I'm sure I'll spend the next couple of years fixing the boat up, but it is basically a very sound boat, and even right now I wouldn't hesitate to take a day sail around the Farallons, or overnight up and down the coast. The interior is rather spartan, but for just one or two people on a weekend it is fine. I will know more about the boat after I haul it this fall, till then, this is what just I have experienced.

Did you buy Sorcerer, a navy C&C? I grew up on it and my dad donated it to a sailing school in Alameda and we were looking for it...

#8 ·
The one I'm thinking of had apparently been successfully campaigned in its day by Hans Fogh... and was reputedly fast but not easy to keep at top speed.

#11 ·
Hi, All!
This is an old thread, but I am also looking for information on this boat, just purchased one. Specifically, how much ballast does this boat have? Can't find that anywhere on the web. Also, boat has rod rigging, looks tiny! Like about 3/16 or so. Is this strong enough?
Thanks in advance.

#12 ·
#14 ·
I'm sure the rod is/was adequate - I'd be more worried about the cold formed ends. If it's original rigging for peace of mind I'd probably replace it all - it's getting on by now - and while you're at it you might want to upsize for your own confidence. I'm sure it was spec'd at the lightest practical for racing issues.

Also unless you're going to campaign this boat hard, you could go with regular wire on a redo.

#16 ·
You'll save some money going with wire over rod.. but I'd get a rigger to properly spec the replacement. The advantage of rod (besides the clean 'look') would be reduced stretch and windage. Important if you're racing competitively at a high level, not so much otherwise.

It's also possible to go DIY with wire if you use terminals like StaLok rather than swaging.. makes repairs easier too down the road - but I'd still get a pro to recommend a size.

#21 ·
Yes... now you actually have a Sailboat! - at least one that will sail.

#25 ·
Hello fellow sailors
Enjoyed this from for some time now and signed up today to participate with maybe answers and off course questions.
There is a C&C half ton for sale in Victoria BC by SALT, thanks (or maybe not) to the donor of this vessel. It is a 1979, looks to be clean and appears ready to go providing the standing rigging, machinery, hull below water checks out. This particular vessel is a hydrostatic drive, not very common for "normal" sailboat.
Any one with experience or knows about this racer ? apparently only few were build.

#36 ·
Hello fellow sailors
Enjoyed this from for some time now and signed up today to participate with maybe answers and off course questions.
There is a C&C half ton for sale in Victoria BC by SALT, thanks (or maybe not) to the donor of this vessel. It is a 1979, looks to be clean and appears ready to go providing the standing rigging, machinery, hull below water checks out. This particular vessel is a hydrostatic drive, not very common for "normal" sailboat.
Any one with experience or knows about this racer ? apparently only few were build.

C&C built a few of them - Sailboat Data says 12. There are 2 or 3 in B.C. and 1 or 2 in Puget Sound. Also some in S.F. Bay.

Very eccentric boats - really only useful as daysailers and PHRF racers - very obsolete as race boats. Crouching headroom and very open interiors not conducive to staying on board. Slingshot cockpit really intrudes on the interior. The deck layout and rig came from probably the worst time of the IOR - the middle of the hardware wars. The deck is covered in hardware and absolutely everything is adjustable, to absurd levels. For example, one I checked out had the main chainplates on some sort of transverse slide so the leeward rigging could be slid a few inches inboard to "improve" the trim angle on the jibsheet.

I think the real deal killer on those boats is the hydraulic drive. They all seem to have it. Aside from that you could make a pretty neat day boat out of one - they are good looking, very racy styling, and pretty fast - at least as fast as a Peterson 1/2 Ton from the same era.

C&C custom shop built them so construction quality is pretty well unquestioned.
I wasted there were 3 built...a red, white and blue...and I grew up on the "blue" one (more like navy) in th SF Bay called Sorcerer till my dad donated it to Alameda Yacht Club...a sailing club or something I can't rem...Have you seen Sorcerer lately? trying to find it...

#26 ·
C&C built a few of them - Sailboat Data says 12. There are 2 or 3 in B.C. and 1 or 2 in Puget Sound. Also some in S.F. Bay.

Very eccentric boats - really only useful as daysailers and PHRF racers - very obsolete as race boats. Crouching headroom and very open interiors not conducive to staying on board. Slingshot cockpit really intrudes on the interior. The deck layout and rig came from probably the worst time of the IOR - the middle of the hardware wars. The deck is covered in hardware and absolutely everything is adjustable, to absurd levels. For example, one I checked out had the main chainplates on some sort of transverse slide so the leeward rigging could be slid a few inches inboard to "improve" the trim angle on the jibsheet.

I think the real deal killer on those boats is the hydraulic drive. They all seem to have it. Aside from that you could make a pretty neat day boat out of one - they are good looking, very racy styling, and pretty fast - at least as fast as a Peterson 1/2 Ton from the same era.

C&C custom shop built them so construction quality is pretty well unquestioned.

Reactions: Faster
#27 ·
^^ What he said ;)

But the one at SALTS looks to be in as good a shape as you could possibly expect, at least going by the pics. Still a bizarre cockpit arrangement for anything but racing.

There's another rotting on a mooring buoy at Newcastle Island.. that's a sad sight.

#28 ·
These boats sail wonderfully- I bought one last summer, and have had it out on San Francisco Bay several times. Light or heavy air, helm is easy and very responsive, turns on a dime, and even when over canvassed did not have to fight a bunch of weather helm. The Volvo diesel wasn't running when I got the boat, but in the process of fixing it, I discovered it is a very, very simple engine and easy to work on- dunno why everyone pooh-pooh's them, but it helps that I am a boat mechanic. The only thing I don't like about them is the hydraulic drive- the forward-reverse valve was frozen when I got the boat. I managed to free it up, but now it leaks about a quart of oil every 8 to 10 hours of running, so I am going to have to get it rebuilt- should be able to get it done at any hydraulic shop. I am reserving opinion until I get it just right. I'm sure I'll spend the next couple of years fixing the boat up, but it is basically a very sound boat, and even right now I wouldn't hesitate to take a day sail around the Farallons, or overnight up and down the coast. The interior is rather spartan, but for just one or two people on a weekend it is fine. I will know more about the boat after I haul it this fall, till then, this is what just I have experienced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.