Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2003

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road
Naive novice question re: buying a boat

Connny,

I agree with the previous post. You''re looking for an picturesque getaway by the shore. While buying a sailboat seems like a very romantic idea, financially it will be like hiring a taxicab and instructing the driver to sit across town with the meter running because you think it might come in handy once in a while when you don''t feel like driving yourself. Sure, it will be convenient occassionally, but you''ll be paying for it whether you use it or not. You''ll eventually begin to hear that meter running in your sleep.

Even if you think you might be interested in sailing (and I don''t perceive from your post that you do), buying a used boat of questionable reliability with a spotty maintenance record from "casual" owners is asking for an expensive disaster and a strained relationship with your friends. A car that has been sitting "almost unused" in a garage for the last ten years may be a great find; but a sailboat is not like a car that sits in a garage relatively well-preserved. It requires a much higher ownership commitment to keep its value and protect your investment, and needs to be used regularly or it develops expensive problems (from non-use) and loses its attractiveness to potential buyers. Then you <em>will</em> have an albatros hanging around your neck. No insult to the current owners, (and at the risk of making a huge assumption), but if the boat as been "almost unused" for ten years, I question how keen they''ve been on maintenance (just the idea that the sea-cocks, the valves that keep water from flooding in and sinking your boat, may not have enjoyed regular inspection is downright scary).

$5k is only half of what you''ll pay over the next few years for all associated costs. That''s many, many hotel rooms in charming vacation spots anywhere you''d like, with all the amusement parks, museums and nice restaurants thrown into the bargain.

In short, a sailboat isn''t a very cost-effective weekend hideway retreat. The only reason for sufferning the expense of owning one is that you love sailing to begin with, and are willing to continue to invest even more money to keep it maintained and to use it as much as you can, because the meter runs 24 hours a day…

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2003

Conny is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for responding!

I had a few sleepless nights over that. I realize now that buying such a sailboat is just the beginning of the costs and I am not sure I could even afford it!(The comparison with the taxi cab running on the other side of town makes much sense, Jeff! That''s exactly how I thought it would be!! Scary, scary....)

And yes, the last thing I want to have is a sunken boat a few hundred miles away from home and no money to do something about it.

I do, however, want to learn how to sail. I probably should just take classes without owning a boat first, and then see if that''s something I really really love to do. (Who knows, probably I have a case of chronical seasickness and don''t even know it! ha ha).

Thanks again for your input.
I really appreciate it.

Conny

Old 07-21-2003

Wega24 is on a distinguished road

Hi Connie
why dont you try this. Go to the marina where you want to be and ask the owners if you can rent their boat during the week a couple of days to sleep in. Maybe you find an owner who would really like the idea and let you use his boat as hideaway ( for a fee of course ) and even take syou out sailing once in a while.

While this might be a stupid idea, I would try it , as you were even close of buying a boat.

Thorsten