Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Hallberg Rassy 35

I bumped into a late 80's Rassy 35. The pics of the boat looks clean and good condition, I beleive the pics is current and will ask more new pictures.

I found more info here,
Hallberg-Rassy 352

If you have other link or insights, please provide. This will be the first attempt to get my first boat. It is a bit sooner than I want (one season sooner), since I just signed into another sailing season of the time-share.

This boat will be mainly used single-handed by myself up and down the east coast, Caribbeans, Bermuda and beyond. If I am lucky, wife or children may be joining me but I am not going to hold my breath if the trip involves over-nite sailing. Therefore, 35 footer is be big enough for me.

The both fuel and water tanks are bit small (70 to 80 gal). I may need to beef both up them later.

You thoughts (pros and cons) on this Rassy is needed. If it is looking good, I will fly down there for a closer look and then get a survey.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2011

billinmn is on a distinguished road
This is a young couple going around the world in a Halberg Rassy and they have nothing but praises .

Windtraveler

Here is another couple doing the same thing . A very worthy boat.

The World Tour - Alex and Taru sailing around the world - Hallberg Rassy 352 - Caribbean
Old 05-03-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Thanks Bill for the links. I envy these two young couples to take the sea in such young age. They must have done something right.

I know HR is very capable, but I wanted to hear the negatives of this boat. She is more than 20 years old with a teak deck, not sure this will cause a problem now or down to road.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-03-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
The 352 is a great boat. HR has a long history in that size range and they take it seriously. There is a huge market in Europe.

The older Enderlein boats are very seaworthy but not particularly fast. Without intending to offend anyone, I think the Enderlein HRs are like the older, two-digit IPs.

If the one at which you are looking is priced below market there is a reason. HRs hold value extremely well.

If you buy the HR you will want to know about HR Parts ( hr-parts.com ). They are practically in the parking lot of the HR factory.

With regards to the teak decks, call Bill Adams (his phone number is on this page: ../ ). Bill used to own Free State Yachts near Annapolis and was the Midatlantic broker for HR; he sold me my 40. Bill knows as much about teak decks, especially on HRs, as anyone I have ever met. Tell Bill Auspicious sent you.

You might want to talk to Roland Ollson at HR ( +46 304 54 800 ), remembering the time difference. Roland is in charge of customer service and sales and while typically Swedish can be a fount of information if you are any good at schmoozing people. *grin*

There is a very active HR group on Yahoo ( HR_Users_Group : HR_Users_Group ). We've had some spam problems so you'll have to convince Manlio to approve your application if you aren't already an HR owner. If he doesn't, get your specific questions to me and I'll post on your behalf.

I have my moments of frustration with my boat, but overall I am very happy with my HR after five years. Auspicious is very likely my forever boat.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I like HRs but no one would ever accuse them of being rapid transit. To me they represent a style of boat that has much to recommend it as a cruising home but as someone said to me only the other day, this type of boat is more a passage maker than a daysailor.

Positives ... Handsome rather than pretty. For the size, lots of room down below. Superb fitout.

Negatives ... for me ... centre cockpit and high freeboard.

You could certainly do worse though for a Carribean cruise I'd have thought light air performance might be higher on the list.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 05-03-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I like HRs but no one would ever accuse them of being rapid transit. To me they represent a style of boat that has much to recommend it as a cruising home but as someone said to me only the other day, this type of boat is more a passage maker than a daysailor.

Positives ... Handsome rather than pretty. For the size, lots of room down below. Superb fitout.

Negatives ... for me ... centre cockpit and high freeboard.

You could certainly do worse though for a Carribean cruise I'd have thought light air performance might be higher on the list.
Have you sailed a Frers HR? Light air performance is quite good. Get on a plane and come sail with me during a Chesapeake summer.

I delivered the HR40 for the Annapolis Boat Show last year from Daytona FL to Annapolis MD in 4 days 19 hours INCLUDING a stop in Beaufort for water (pressure line popped off the filter). That's pretty good, for those of you in other parts of the world. *grin*

I've been delivering boats pretty much full time for a number of years and Frers HRs and Swans are the ones I'm generally happiest with.

The Enderleins are a bit slower but still quite decent performers.

Looking up and down my dock, the freeboard on my HR is not discernibly different from the aft cockpit boats around.

Buying a center cockpit boat was a surprise to me, but I'm really happy with the choice. End-boom sheeting with the traveler out of the cockpit, good leads of sheets to winches, very dry in a sea, lots of room for friends on the aft deck, room for a cooler (YETI rocks), and an outstanding aft stateroom. Aft cockpit boats race better but for overall comfort (including moving the boat) I like the center cockpit. YMMV of course.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Gentlemen, I appreciate your comments very much.

I am not sure how much I will suffer having a blue water boat when at the Chesapeake Bay slip or in Bahama compared my current Jeanneau 37 or the new Dufour 40E. I have to admit it is a constant battle in my head how much blue boat I need. In the ideal world, I should have both. But it is not going to happen. I need choose one by Spring of 2012.

I found comfort in HR line, most of them on the market are to much and I am unwilling to pay that much. If I have to pay $300K I would rather buy a new boat, thought this notion may changed.

Dave, I will send you a PM later this evening or tomorrow. I have a few questions. Thanks.

Fine Print:
Old 05-03-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
If it has teak decks then you need to have a very carefull look at them repair or replacement will be very expensive and at that vintage they were screwed down arggghhhh!

The engine was a Volvo some had turbos again very expensive to repair.

If both decks and engine are original I would not expect to pay top dollar.
Old 05-03-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

It is a 1987, so it is 24 year old. The engine has been replace with Beta Marine with 1800 hr on the meter.

Deck pic looks good. But I have no idea. Will the marine survey can provide relative certainty of the heath of the deck?

It is hard to compare the prices as not too many of them in North America, it seems that in Europe, the price of a similar boat is about 20K more than U.S.

Fine Print:
Old 05-04-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Good news on the engine.

24 year old teak decks not good news. If you intend keeping the boat long term budget for a new deck AND the possibility of deck core problems.
Some good stuff here on how the decks were laid and potential problemsCLICKY

No surveyor will issue a long term positive prognosis, they will give an opinion on what the condition is on the day of survey.

BTW I would pay more for a boat that did not have teak decks as I am sailing in the tropics. I like to walk around barefoot!