Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011

Avius is on a distinguished road
Cool Diving into multihulls crusing/liveaboard

SO ive been visiting this site for oh well 6ish years X) looking for answers to questions, reading experiences and general mental preparing. Its been about 2 years since ive graduated and im now at the point where i have no ties to NOT jump on a boat for awhile. BUT i think its time i start trying to tailor the questions to me. A little info:

Im already selling all my toys (comps, furniture, motorcycle, 18' hobie and spare car) and live pretty sparse to begin with lifestyle wise.
My dream boat is a Chris White Hammerhead 54... I will have one before i die.
I want a Trimaran due to the style (about sailing and not all the everyday comforts we have grown to have), speed (im a lead foot driver/racecar family spawn) when i want it and just the few that ive been on felt RIGHT to me.
I dont want a tiller.
I need the basic home necessities for a home (bed, cookstove, head) to make sure i can do the tax deductions on the loan.
If its not able to live on the wire (moaring buoy) at purchase, it needs the ability to be upgraded to it.
I will be coastal crusing from WA south till im fully accustomed to the boat, then bluewater OR if a more suitable boat pops up i will swap and start again. (im kinda anal in knowing my toys so this entail mech,electric,rigging,sails,gas,payload,paint...du st, etc
I can buy in FL due to having family down there... getting it back up to WA is another story.
My acquired cat Guiness will be coming with me. I currently have no ball in which might chain herself to me.

I know there is other things but my mind has gone blank... tends to happen with excitement! I have a house but the renters are paying the mortgage AND me back the down-payment/remodel costs slowly. SO the boat will be a place for me to live on as well. Easily can do 500 a month for loan payments, from the estimates i see online that will get me a sizable boat.

Currently looking at 3 that catch my eye (not counting hecla... to much money )

1982 Trevor Banks 44' kinda on the higher side of the money but doable, TILLER AND close to me!
1982 Harris 33 Like the price, kinda on the smaller size... and its in FL.
1987 Lock Crowther 42' like the price, needs alittle work im assuming also in FL.

Out of the 3 the Lock is biting my brain. Even with the noted work with paint AND distance to get it home. OH ive been chatting with some boat guys at the marina bar and i have a line with a builder who does custom enclosures for cockpits... who oddly will trade services for home repair and help with the project!

Im sure i forgot a TON more info for some of you. After work ill add some more info or answer questions.

Thanks for your time reading my wall of text and i hope to meet up with ya on the sea!

Tom

SOoo it seems i forgot to ask what are peoples thoughts or experiences with these boats? Long 14 day straight work week

Last edited by Avius; 05-03-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: FORGOT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2011

nemier is on a distinguished road
Tom,
Welcome to SailNet.
Best of luck finding your Tri.
I must admit, I love them too, and it IS all about the sailing.
Let us know how you get on with the boat hunting.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook