Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011

Rockstar2011 is on a distinguished road
C&C Northern 24' or Bayliner Buccaneer 24'?

I was ideally looking for a 26' boat as I wanted something with a decent sized interior with a stove, and enclosed head (not enclosed together..haha). Enough interior space that I could comfortably go away for a weekend on and be comfortable. I have not yet found a 26' boat that is in the shape I am looking for for the price I am looking for ($5,000 to $8,000).

There was a 1979 26' Mirage I was looking at that was in fantastic shape inside and out with new sails for $7,900. I was going to buy that, but the motor didn't work, so I decided against it.

I have found a couple of 24' boats that are within my price range and in the condition I am comfortable with.

One is a 1980 24' Bayliner Buccaneer, $5,000: toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/boa/2353934402.html

The other is a 1987 C&C Northern 24'
//toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-sailboats-C-C-Northern-24-Sailboat-W0QQAdIdZ228857329]C&C Northern 24 Sailboat - Great Family Boat - Oakville / Halton Region Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji Oakville / Halton Region Canada.

I am going to look at the Bayliner tonight. It looks like it has a brand new interior according to the ad and seems to be quite roomy inside. Exactly what I was looking for.

The C&C is 7 years newer and in pretty good shape as well. Comes with an autopilot, which is cool, as well as a slip that is paid for (I already have a slip downtown Toronto paid for and this one is about a two hour sail away). Not bad having two slips I guess. The interior on the C&C was very small and cramped, but I may have to settle for it. I suppose I could live with it.

I would appreciate any feedback. From what I have read on this forum, the Bayliner is a pretty badly designed boat. The C&C on the other hand I have heard is a fantastic boat and highly respected. I am making my decision based on the interior. Speed is semi-important as well. Owner of the C&C tells me about 6.5 kts. I would guess the Bayliner is about a knott slower. Definitely a factor. If I am wrong, someone please correct.

Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited by Rockstar2011; 05-12-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: (edit: it wouldn't let me post links as this is my first post, so I had to cut out the http at the beginning. Hpe that's ok
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Oooohhhh, I love spending someone else's money!

Pass on the Bucc. The Northern ad is gone.

If it was me, and I lived where you live, I would look at...

1979 Chrystler 26 Sailboat - City of Toronto Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

1982 Bayfield 25' - Great Hull, New Upholstery - City of Toronto Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

Sailboat, 29 ft hughes Must Sell - City of Toronto Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

24' Challenger Sail Boat - City of Toronto Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

A little farther afield:

Bayfield 25' - Ontario Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji Ontario Canada.

Any of these are comfortable, reliable, and will give you some cushion in your budget to cover the inevitable repairs and upgrades.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 05-12-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Pass on the buc without looking at it. They sail generally speaking pretty bad. UNLESS< this is a new one that turned into the US25, then a decent sailing boat. They do have a really nice BIG interior for a sailboat of that size, thenagain, they need help to sail........I've seen bucs near me go faster sideways than forward on some reach's.

The C&C would probably be the best sailer, the others listed by BL would do also, altho some may not meet my spec for a boat.........

Marty
Old 05-13-2011

Thanks for the responses so far guys. I am ideally looking for something where I don't have to do too much to it to get me started. I took a look at the Bayliner, and didn't like it at all. The interior was no where near as nice as it showed in the pictures.. hard to believe he was trying to sell it looking like that actually. I am really starting to lean towards the C&C, but part of me is starting to think, maybe I should bite the bullet and buy that Mirage 26' and pick up a long shaft outboard for it since the current motor is not operable. Here it is: //toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-sailboats-MIRAGE-26-SAILBOAT-IN-MINT-CONDITION-FULLY-LOADED-MUST-SEE-W0QQAdIdZ281047597] The outboard would make it more than what I wanted to spend, but maybe it is worth it.
Old 05-13-2011

The Renault diesel in the Mirage is a nightmare to get parts for, and if you hang an outboard on the stern you will now have invested $9000 in a boat that is going to be worth $6000.

Keep looking. It is still early in the season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-13-2011

Why would the Mirage be worth less money with a working outboard on the back? The boat comes with a lot of extras and is pretty clean inside and out. The owner tells me he is only selling for $7,900 because the motor isn't working, otherwise he would be selling for $12,900.

Here is the link again. I can post links now.. YAY
MIRAGE 26 SAILBOAT IN MINT CONDITION! FULLY LOADED! MUST SEE! - Mississauga / Peel Region Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji Mississauga / Peel Region Canada.
Old 05-13-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
You don't really want to be dragging around the weight of the engine and the drag of the prop/strut if it's not functional. The boat does look in decent condition but it will be difficult to get value without re-powering with another diesel - that's probably a $5-6K project depending on what engine you find, used/new and what's involved in adapting the mounts etc.

If you can get it cheap enough to justify that, then maybe. But you've already stated you want to sail, not fix. You're in a buyers market so be patient and keep looking.

Lots of issues with transom mounted outboards - accessibility, aesthetics, lack of usability when you need it most, etc etc.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-13-2011

A 26' Mirage, even with a working diesel, is not a $12K boat.

Old 05-13-2011

It's also gonna be damn tough to mount an outboard with that rudder.

Old 05-13-2011

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will eliminate the Mirage from what I have. Back to the 24' C&C for now. It is supposed to rain here for the next week straight, so hopefully it doesn't sell for now. I would like to have something soon though. You are right, it IS a buyers market. There is also this one: 1981 C&C Mega 30 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
It is pretty far away (about a 3 hour drive) just to go an inspect. The broker doesn't really know much about the boat other than that the seller is motivated. He says it has been out of the water for the past couple of years and that for the price, he thinks there will need to be some work done on it (which doesn't' really ring my bell, depending on what it is) $9,800 would be over my budget though. 8K may be doable if I know it is a good boat, then there is the transport to Toronto.