SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Beneteau 311 vs Tartan 31 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/74408-beneteau-311-vs-tartan-31-a.html)

DanBR 05-13-2011 09:42 AM

Beneteau 311 vs Tartan 31

I am looking at two boats and I wanted to hear everyones thoughts on the two boats. I know they are very different and i'm not comparing apples to apples but hear me out.

I was set on the Tartan which was a late 80's Tartan 31. However I came across an early 2000's beneteau 311 and now I'm having a hard time choosing.

The Tartan is a much better boat but the beneteau is 15 years younger and after speaking with the owners I think I could get them at about the same price. The Beneteau owner is very motivated to sell otherwise they would not be in the same price range

They are both in very good condition for their years.

Is the Tartan really that much better that I can over look the 15 years?

I am looking to mostly sail the east coast of Florida and the Bahamas a couple times a year. I might do some local club races from time to time also but nothing serious.

rockDAWG 05-13-2011 11:01 AM

I am in the same boat is you buying older or buying newer. I based on this statement you made

Quote:

I am looking to mostly sail the east coast of Florida and the Bahamas a couple times a year. I might do some local club races from time to time also but nothing serious.
I guess you will be happier with the French made boat. It is a buyer market, get what you want and leave the emotion at home. If not, just walk.

PCP 05-13-2011 11:49 AM

On a 30 year old boat you have to make a lot of questions, for example: When was the rigging changed? (some say that should be changed every 10 years, some say more, but certainly a 30 year's old rigging is not fit anymore). The mast is the original? If so you have to look very carefully. Aluminum tend to turn brittle with time and to corrode on the links. The boat engine?....the freezer engine?...the pumps?, all rubber parts... last time the boat had an epoxy coat barrier...has the boat osmosis?, or absorbed water on the hull?

An old boat can be as new but that means that only the hull and the interior are the same. Almost all systems and other parts should have been replaced. Many that have old boats (or new for that matter) sail only occasionally and use the boat very little and just don't do an adequate maintenance other than visual.

Bottom point you need to know how much money you are going to need to put both boats to specs and probably you are going to need a lot more to do that in a 30 year old boat than in a 10 year old boat (that's why old boats cost less) but each case is a case;)

Regards

Paulo

overbored 05-13-2011 11:59 AM

It may come down to the equipment that they come with and the condition of the equipment. if they are of equal price and you have to buy stuff for one then it is really a more expensive boat. thats to say if you need all that stuff. why is the Tartan a better boat? both of them can and have been used for your missions. is the older boat really in as good a shape as the newer one? for me it would be the Bene, it is newer better looking and a better layed out cockpit. in ten years it will be a 20 year old boat the Tartan will be 35 going on 40 though a good looking boat it will look very old by then

rockDAWG 05-13-2011 12:06 PM

The master has spoken. :)

I think I want an Elan 350 :P

RobGallagher 05-18-2011 10:35 AM

One thing that has not been mentioned is depreciation. I'm no expert, so I'm not saying I have the answers. But I have questions.

What will either boat be worth in 10 years with no major upgrades?

What will either boat be worth with a new engine/rigging?

How long do you plan on keeping the boat? I know that's a hard question to answer but I think it should be taken into consideration.

'72 My C&C 30 may, or may not have depreciated over the 11+ years I have owned her. If it did, it's no more than 10%. I could unload it at a 20% depreciation in a heart beat. The funny thing is that it's still worth 50% of the sticker price :)

chef2sail 05-18-2011 07:27 PM

Go for the boat which better describes the kind of sailing you do... Bene..more creature comforts, wider salon and cockpit....Tartan..better made..better sailing over all...Fractionalk spreadrrs vs non.

The elctronics on the Bene are newer...maybe unless the Tartan has been constantly maintained and upgraded in which case many of the Tartan systems could actually be newer than the Bene.

I know this will get me in trouble

So heres the deleama...do I want the newer girl with the fat ass wide body for her size and stubby nose who looks like everybody else...or do I want the classy girl...who is a little older with more experience, better looker, takes care of herself and is more of an individual.

Dave

DanBR 05-19-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 731859)
Go for the boat which better describes the kind of sailing you do... Bene..more creature comforts, wider salon and cockpit....Tartan..better made..better sailing over all...Fractionalk spreadrrs vs non.

The elctronics on the Bene are newer...maybe unless the Tartan has been constantly maintained and upgraded in which case many of the Tartan systems could actually be newer than the Bene.

I know this will get me in trouble

So heres the deleama...do I want the newer girl with the fat ass wide body for her size and stubby nose who looks like everybody else...or do I want the classy girl...who is a little older with more experience, better looker, takes care of herself and is more of an individual.

Dave

Dave,

Haha I like the analogy. Forgive me for being ignorant but what is the difference between fractional spreaders and non? Which boat has which?

DanBR 05-19-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCP (Post 730026)
On a 30 year old boat you have to make a lot of questions, for example: When was the rigging changed? (some say that should be changed every 10 years, some say more, but certainly a 30 year's old rigging is not fit anymore). The mast is the original? If so you have to look very carefully. Aluminum tend to turn brittle with time and to corrode on the links. The boat engine?....the freezer engine?...the pumps?, all rubber parts... last time the boat had an epoxy coat barrier...has the boat osmosis?, or absorbed water on the hull?

An old boat can be as new but that means that only the hull and the interior are the same. Almost all systems and other parts should have been replaced. Many that have old boats (or new for that matter) sail only occasionally and use the boat very little and just don't do an adequate maintenance other than visual.

Bottom point you need to know how much money you are going to need to put both boats to specs and probably you are going to need a lot more to do that in a 30 year old boat than in a 10 year old boat (that's why old boats cost less) but each case is a case;)

Regards

Paulo

Paulo,

I think I am going to go with the newer boat, but if that offer falls through here are the results on a lot of the questions you addressed
The Tartan 31 is in very good condition as far as the hull, interior, cosmetically, and I've been told there have never been any blisters. The negative part is that it has original sails and mast. The standing rigging was replaced 12 years ago and the running rigging is very stiff. The bottom was painted 18 months ago.

I know I will have to replace the sails. What will that cost?

Do I have to replace the mast? How much is that?

Do I have to replace the standing rigging that was replaced 12 years ago. If so, How much is that?

How much is it to replace the running rigging?

How much is the bottom painting?

tomandchris 05-19-2011 10:44 AM

Surveyor, surveyor, surveyor.....after you decide which boat pulls at you.

You certainly should not need a new mast...if you do run away!

Standing rigging, they are about the same age on both based on your statements. Really depends on use and care more than age. Many boats still have the same standing rigging 20 or more years later, but it gets costly when it has to be replaced.

20 plus year old sails will need to be replaced if you want performance. The 10 year old sails might be in the same condition as the 20 plus year old sails dependent on use. Some people replace sails every two years because they race and work them hard. Some wait 10 years, and some obviously never replace them based on the Tartan you are looking at. Sails will cost you from under $5,000 to over $15,000 dependent on what you choose.

You will find that boats are a very nice hole to pour your money into. The most important thing is that you find a hole(boat) you really like before you start pouring, because you are most likely not going to get much of it back when and if you sell.

Whatever you do: HAVE IT SURVEYED!!!!!!