Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
You don't need the popular idea of a "bluewater boat", a heavy long keel boat. Many boats are good offshore with a bit of preparation. You do need a well built boat that has been maintained. Boat from Cape Dory, Bristol, CS, and many others are very suitable for local sailing as well as offshore use. Other more main line production boats like early Hunters, Beneteaus, Pearson, and others if well built can be used offshore, with some preparation, but the Caribbean isn't Cape Horn.
Old 05-15-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Not try to confuse the OP further, you don't need to buy a boat to enjoy sailing. I have been using a time-share sail boat for two years. I am happy with it. The reasons:

1. After all these years (since 2006), I still can't make up my mind what I should buy When in doubt, I hold on my money and let it makes even more money.
2. Like every toys I have, do it right the first time is the least expensive, and happier I will be.
3. I can't commit enough time to use the boat to justify to buy mine own.
4. Buying a new one would be nice, but don't feel like being a sucker. So far, I only know how to earn money slowly, and not quite know how to print money yet.
5. Buy an old boat, it will be fun to bring her back to life. But my Honey Do's list is way too long AS NOW. Don't want to open another can of worms.

Reasons for a time share boat:
1. Let me pretend as if I were a captain.
2. Very reasonable rate, just same $ as the cost of a slip in the prime marina in Annapolis.
3. No maintenance, no upkeep, no worries. no pump out. If Hurricane is on its way, who cares
4. Boat is newer with all amenities
5. If I have an accident, my out of pocket cost is $500. If I have no accident, I will get my $1500 back when i leave the program.
6. buy me some more time before I commit 100K to 250K of my hard earned money.
7. Wife is no going to nagging me why buy a boat and have her sitting on the dock. It allows to work as much as i want.
8. Give me more chance to crew with other captains. Learn from others more

Why does it suck with a time share
1. You can't name your own boat
2. You can't sail anytime you wish.
3. You must return the boat at a pre-agreed time.
4. You need to tidy up her before you leave

A time share is not for everyone. But it works for me. My wife is happy

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2011

sidney777 is on a distinguished road
What Sabre can you find in that price range ? Might look at Pearson 323 or Cape Dory, of course the others listed above. Probably some Bristols in your area above 30 ft. Canadian Sailcraft (CS)
Old 05-16-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I wasn't thinking about price range when I posted that. But there are 11 Sabre 28's in that price range on Yachtworld. The op is looking between 28' and 30'

But to add other choices in the op's price range, C&C, Seafarer, Seidelmann, Tartan, Ericson, and O'Day.
Old 05-16-2011

rkain is on a distinguished road
Wow so many responses!

I think Sabreman and JimCal had a point a with regards to getting the right boat for what I will actually use it for. Reminds me of something I read on Captain John's blog about the two types of dreamboats...

My wife and I have considered a time share as well (there is a guy with a nice C&C 29 near us) - for all of the reasons you mentioned. In many ways it could make sense for us as we're moving up from a dinghy to a larger boat. It would also give us a chance to learn a few different boats before buying one of our own.

On the other hand, I (perhaps foolishly) am looking forward to the maintenance and repair part.

In any case I think we'll keep looking, not like we're obligated to buy anything.

I really appreciate all the advice you guys have provided, it has definitely helped me home in what will be the best fit!

You've given me a lot to consider
Old 05-16-2011

baboon is on a distinguished road
Like you I moved form dingy sailing to a keelboat about 3 years ago. Our first "big" boat is an early 70's tartan 30. Even though it was in very good condition for its age, it had not been updated for many years. This limited our initial costs as we can sail the boat using older tech just fine and not spend $ fixing things that were necessities. Having said that, as you get into sailing you do tend to want to update things, but if the boat is in good shape you can do this over time while sailing it.

As to maintence, it has not been too bad. The tartan's motor is in the center of the salon, so access is easy, and working on the diesel (the PO had changed out the old atomic 4 gass motor) has been fun to learn. I do hire out things that are more important for safety like standing rigging.

As to a boat to choose, I am an early expert at a tartan 30, and nothing else, so others may be more help. It is a very solid boat and was offered as a tall rig which might help in light air. I do not think there was a shoal draft option. Head room is tight for me at 6 ft.
Old 05-17-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
A Final Thought

rkain -

You mentioned that you would keep looking. From experience, I'll say that the Internet is a dangerous beast in that you can search endlessly and become more confused as time progresses. It happened to me after we sold our Sabre 28 and were looking. One day my wife stopped me and said "We've had such good luck with Sabres, why don't you just look for one of them?" Within 2 weeks, we'd made an offer on Victoria. We picked a single day to look at 3 Sabres that we'd found in the Annapolis area and picked one of them.

The point is that many posters picked some nice boats. Once you actually make a decision to buy, go do it! It's just a boat and you really won't go wrong if you stick to brand names and get a good survey. You get what you pay for so unless you want a project boat, spend a few more $$ and get something that you can sail.

I recommend sorting the boats proposed by the posters into groups and then pick the group that you like. By this, I mean that Cape Dory is a fine boat but way different than Sabre which is different than Beneteau. Use a divide and conquer approach.

Good luck.
Old 05-17-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
rkain -

You mentioned that you would keep looking. From experience, I'll say that the Internet is a dangerous beast in that you can search endlessly and become more confused as time progresses. It happened to me after we sold our Sabre 28 and were looking. One day my wife stopped me and said "We've had such good luck with Sabres, why don't you just look for one of them?" Within 2 weeks, we'd made an offer on Victoria. We picked a single day to look at 3 Sabres that we'd found in the Annapolis area and picked one of them.

The point is that many posters picked some nice boats. Once you actually make a decision to buy, go do it! It's just a boat and you really won't go wrong if you stick to brand names and get a good survey. You get what you pay for so unless you want a project boat, spend a few more $$ and get something that you can sail.

I recommend sorting the boats proposed by the posters into groups and then pick the group that you like. By this, I mean that Cape Dory is a fine boat but way different than Sabre which is different than Beneteau. Use a divide and conquer approach.

Good luck.
Well said!
The Gold Standard for advice!!

L
Old 05-17-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
"We've had such good luck with Sabres, why don't you just look for one of them?"
Good luck.
I always admire a Sabre from the good hard working folks in Maine, but never sail one. Just wonder if you know what is the "significant" differences between Sabre built in 1980's, 1990's and 2000's. May be I dream hard enough, I will get one

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-17-2011

rkain is on a distinguished road
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice!

Been talking with the wife about it, and she (and now "we") are leaning towards a time share at least for this summer.

All griping aside, I do think it makes sense at this point, since we are still learning and moving up from small boats to larger ones. It's an opportunity to get some more experience learning what we're looking for before jumping in to anything. Not to mention we'll be able to sail in something a bit nicer than we could afford to buy outright.

I appreciate all of your feedback!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.