Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011

sailing320 is on a distinguished road
New Boat

I was thinking of selling my Island Packet 320 and buying a Bristol 38.8. I have never sailed this boat but sailed a Bristol 41. My goal is to find a boat under 41 feet that is going to sail faster and have more room then my Island Packet. I want to get places faster! My friends suggest a Sabre 386? Am I on the right track? I would like to spend less then 200 but I would be willing to go as high as 300. Insurance rates are expensive in South Florida so I would carry liability only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
If you want to go faster go with the Sabre.
Old 05-19-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Liability only in Florida will assure that the next hurricane will be centered over your slip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 05-19-2011
Dreamer

jordanship is on a distinguished road
I haven't had to tie up yachts for a hurricane the last two years. Here's to hoping for another hurricane free year in South Florida...

About any of your options will be faster than an IP320. Of the two you mention, I'd guess you will be happier with a 386 because they are newer. I see '04 and '05 models in Annapolis in your range.
Old 05-19-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
ANY boat would be faster than an IP.....excepting westsnail, and even then, the westsail would give you a run for you money speed wise.

You might even want to look at Catalina's, Hunters, Jeanneau, Beneteau. You could come close to getting a brand new Jeanneau 36i for $200K, if you could go to 300, you would be into a 39i, go for the Performance model, and you are in the PHRF range of 80-100, beating you 250'ish IP no matter how you slice the cake speed wise. A 39iP is rated shy of a J109. J boats might be another option. There are some more cruisy models like the 109, very fast, 2 can handle the sails and AS of the prod very easy, you can hit speeds in the mid teens with correct wind conditions. I doubt your IP would hit 6-7 knots in the same conditions.....

Marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.