SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Cold-Molded Boats good or bad? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/74687-cold-molded-boats-good-bad.html)

stephaneg 05-23-2011 09:54 AM

Cold-Molded Boats good or bad?

Hi everybody first of i m new here :)
well i have a question about Cold-Molded sailboat. I hear that they are the best. I am going to buy a sailboat to be living abord and sailling around the world and i like to know if a Cold-Molded sailBoat is good or a bad idia? I like to find one that is about 40 feet. what you all think about it? or is it better to get a older 1967 vintage fiberglass? i red that they are better then the newest one.
thank you for your help.
steph.

WanderingStar 05-23-2011 10:52 AM

Welcome aboard. A well built cold molded boat will be light, stiff, and durable. But they were mostly built for racing, and they represent a very small percentage of the market. Glass boats built in the 60's tend to be heavy, therefore solid, and less prone to blisters than 80's boats. But older boats often need much work: new rigging, interior or engine. You really should read this site thoroughly and spend time with sailors and aboard boats before you buy one. Good luck, it's a great lifestyle.

puddinlegs 05-23-2011 10:57 AM

Cold molded boats are great! There are few because they're labor intensive to build.

stephaneg 05-23-2011 11:12 AM

thanks to both of you:)

SlowButSteady 05-23-2011 12:21 PM

I believe that Bruce Schwab's "Ocean Planet" has a cold-molded hull. Managed to complete the Vendee Globe in 2005.

mitiempo 05-23-2011 12:43 PM

For a one-off boat my first choice would be aluminum and my second choice would be cold-molded with epoxy construction. They are in the minority because they don't lend themselves to series production. But they are lighter and stronger than a conventional fiberglass boat. This is where fiberglass wins - one mold and they can pop out hundreds if not thousands affordably. As with any boat you find maintenance is more critical than hull material.

imagine2frolic 05-23-2011 04:46 PM

Ocean Planet is cold molded. I sail a cold molded boat, and if ever I was to build a boat. I would use the process. I am very happy with her. You do have to be careful of fresh water, and I have had a couple of small drainage problems. You don't have to be an artist to do a good fix, and the repairs can be easy. Make sure to get a syrveyor who is familiar with the construction.......i2f

stephaneg 05-24-2011 07:21 AM

hey all;) i ave a new qyestion..is composit hull like Cold-Molded hull? is it the same thing?
thanks
S

imagine2frolic 05-24-2011 07:23 AM

Not always, there are different composites.......i2f

GaryHLucas 05-29-2011 10:16 PM

A cold molded boat is a boat with a laminated wood or fiberglass hull. The wood is cut into thin strips about 1/8" thick. these are then bent over frames on a diagonal to get the hull shape. Subsequent layers are added with epoxy resin, on the diagonal running the opposite way so they cross. Essentially the hull becomes a single thick piece of plywood. There is a fiberglass material made in strips called C-flex that is also used to build a boat the same way.

You don't need a mold, so it is good for a one off. However you don't get a molded smooth gelcoat, so finishing the hull is very labor intensive.