Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011
<-- best seat on the boat

jcwhite is on a distinguished road
Ericson 35' on BoatAngel

Alright, here's a conundrum. A friend of mine likes to putter around a site called BoatAngel. It's one of those charities that people donate boats to, and they sell for a profit. I've never been involved with them myself, and I don't believe that he has either. They are not one of the charities that refits boats, they just sell them on (sight unseen, to the highest eBay bidder). If anyone has dealt with them, I'd welcome an opinion.

Normally, I'd have nothing to do with it, because I like to see what I buy, and I don't like deals laden with buyer-beware disclaimers. However, I was just pointed to this: 1977 Ericson 35' Used Sloop Sailboat for Sale - WA | eBay

Any thoughts? I'm not concerned about it actually being a scam, because the organization has been around long enough to make that unlikely. I am concerned about getting burned with a junker that needs 20k of work. How do you folks feel?

What are the odds that an Ericson from 77 is still in good shape, given that I have no idea of its maintenance history? What are the common problems with Ericson 35s, especially the ones that you won't be able to see from pictures? I've posted earlier my plan for living aboard, do you think this boat is a fair one for that?

Edit: Having read around a bit more, it seems like the chainplates are a big issue on these boats. Does anyone think they see water damage on the main bulkhead, starboard side?

Last edited by jcwhite; 05-28-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
The wife and I toyed with buying a boat from them at one time. I called them to ask if I could drive down and take a look at the boat we liked because I wanted to bid on it. They told me that it was against their policy to allow potential buyers to see the boat before buying it. I promptly hung up the phone and never thought about buying from them again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 05-28-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
For it to be "against policy" to allow viewing seems odd and suspect.

Friends bought a boat through a similar agency (might even have been the same one if Seattle based) but they found the boat in Alameda CA and were able to inspect and view the boat extensively (it was not an Ebay deal so probably a different group). All their dealings with the seller was by phone. Turned out to be a good boat at a great price, even after trucking it to the PNW.

Looks like this boat's in Bellingham.. not far and not that many marinas there... perhaps a covert reconnaissance mission is in order????

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-28-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Ericson 35 MkII hulls were made in two pieces, port and starboard, flanged and bonded down the middle. A friend of mine had one them years ago, and he discovered during a haulout that the bond started to fail near the turn of the bow about a foot or so below the waterline. It's a fixable problem, but there's really no way to know without a haulout (and it wasn't a trivial job). He also replaced the port side of that main bulkhead (also not a trivial job).

Bottom line is that I would never buy that big a boat without a survey, even it it were dirt cheap. You could easily wind up with a 12,000 lb pile of junk, for which YOU are liable.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 05-28-2011

Tanley is on a distinguished road
If you haven't already, post your question on the Ericson forum. You'll get a very good response from their members and possibly a connection to the boat itself.

EY.o Information Exchange - Powered by vBulletin
Old 05-28-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
There is a thread elsewhere on this site where BoatAngel, and their mission and motivation, were discussed. Do a search and it will turn up.
Old 05-28-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Our experience was on Ebay and with Boatangel. I personally talked to them and was told that they had a policy that they could not divulge where the boat was or who the owner was.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 05-28-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Here's that other thread:

Boat Angel

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-28-2011

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
It looks like there is some rot in the stbd bulkhead, just above the bookshelf.
Old 05-28-2011

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
It also looks like it has been re-powered at some point.