SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Nightingale 30

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Fred Hutchinson 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, new sailors here and currently looking at our first boat. Came across and looked at a boat called a Nightingale 30. The broker was not very helpful and didn't seem to know much about the boat, although I'm not sure it was his listing, hopefully he'll be sending more information. Anyway I can't find anything on the net about the boat. Says the hull is a 1979 and interior finished 1985, so we think it is probably owner built? Anyway if anyone has any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
I found that yachtworld ad.... the boat in Everett WA?

It looks very much to me like what was built in BC as a Windward 850, by Spencer, I believe. Perhaps it was stretched to 30' with a reverse transom.

I agree that odds are it was purchased as a hull and deck and owner finished (could be good, could be bad, survey and eyes wide open). They were a roomy boat that sold relatively well locally for a while.

Have a look and compare:

Sailboats: 28' Windward 28 Sloop - Listing #: 3325

#3 ·
Yeah its the boat in Everett. It does look like the Windward 28 you linked to. Looked at it today, thinking of taking someone more knowledgeable with us next time. Today was a bit of a tire kicking sort of thing to see what we might like. Missed what looked was a good deal on a Ericson 29 that sold before we could get down to Seattle this afternoon.
The Nightingale looked pretty nice inside, a few things that I had a question about that I would have to have someone else look at. I figure at this end of the price range the boats may not be the best looker so was a bit suprised at how nice it is inside. Also saw a S2 26footer that looked really nice at a good price but it has a 6hp outboard and we were wanting a inboard, diesel hopefully.
Not a whole lot of choices up here in the 6-12000$ range, well a few that even I can recognize as being not too nice. Found a 27ft hunter late 70 vintage for 9900 that was pretty clean looking may have to go back and look at it a bit more carefully. Thanks for the reply, will see what I can find on the Windward 28 online.

#5 ·
I don't know for sure about the price it does seem that things are a bit more expensive around here. We are not far enough along in our search to be into the bargaining stage yet so I guess we will see what the real price will be soon enough. It does look nice on the inside, seems dry but there are a few t hings that caught my eye that would need looking into. We have a bit more looking to do so that we can narrow things down to a few boats then we can see about picking one for a survey.

Capt Tom, checked out your website, very nice looking Columbia, I may check out a Columbia 29, late 60s model that caught my eye. He's asking over 10k for it so that seems a little pricey, maybe it will be really nice.

Thanks all for the replies, I still haven't found much on the Nightingale or the Windward 28 online though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.