Old 06-10-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Add a Cal 34 to your list as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2011

steveoscaro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBones View Post
This is a great idea and I say this partially because I am in the process of doing the same thing. I am 25 and just bought my boat, a 1981 30' Lippincott. I got it for 8k because it has been sitting and the sails were shot, but the interior is immaculate and all the systems are in good working order. It has been a bit of elbow grease to get cleaned up, but my survey came through to value it as it sits at 14k so I think it was a good deal. Basically I will be out the door at about 15k with a really solid boat that will be of the value. This being said I took 2 years to find the boat I wanted and to buy it. My advice is look at what you want in a boat and see if any really spark your enthusiasm, this one to me screamed buy it and that is whats important that you love what you buy. I also read Nigel Calders Cruising Handbook which helps lay out what you want in a cruising boat, why different things are good, and how they work. With this I narrowed down my search because I knew nothing of all the different brands, but this let me pick out attributes and see who fit the bill.

I was also looking at this boat which is know is a bit out of your way, but the price seemed really good for what it is and it has been on the market for quite a while, if they didn't take the offer on the boat I bought this was my next offer.
Bristol Centerboard Sloop

Well I certainly wish you the best and make sure to keep us posted on the progress.
Congratulations on finally finding your boat. Sounds like you found yourself a great deal. Are you living on it? What are you plans with it?

I actually also found the ad for that Bristol 35. Definitely appealing, but a centerboard is not so good if you want to go offshore, right? I'll look into that book, thanks for the recommendation. It's cool to hear from someone succeeding down my planned path. Best of luck to you too.

And thanks puddinlegs, I'll make sure to look into the Cal 34s.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook