Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011

fishpants is on a distinguished road
Ranger vs C&C

Hello all.

I've been the proud owner of a 26' Thunderbird for about 7 years now. Recently I've been considering something a little roomier and have seen some mid-late 70's vintage Ranger 33's, and also some late 80's C&C 30's and C&C 32's. Just wondering how the Ranger performs, especially in lighter air vs the C&Cs, and also whether the C&C 32 has any real advantages over the 30. (If i can save on moorage fees I'd be happy, but not if I'm significantly sacrificing performance.)

I'm not a racer, just a cruiser but I want a boat that sails well, especially in light air.

Any opinions on this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2011

CapnA is on a distinguished road
I can't really speak about Rangers, but I have a 1984 C&C 32. I can tell you that I love the boat. It is extremely well built, and it sails well in most wind conditions. Due to its displacement, it is not tender, even when the wind picks up. While light air is not its strongest condition (it does best 10 - 20 knots), it does have decent light air performance.

Last winter my boat was on the hard right next to a late 1980's C&C 30. (I believe it is a Mark II). This is not to be confused with the 1970's C&C 30, which is a classic in its own right. My C&C 32 is slightly longer (they are actually 31.5'), but the 30 is significantly wider. As a result, the 32 has slightly more foredeck and a slightly larger cockpit, but the 30 has more interior room. They both have almost the same sail area, and the 30 is a bit deeper draft. Based upon my conversations with the owner and comparing the two designs, I would be willing to bet the late 1980's C&C 30 sails better in light air, but the 32 sails better in heavier air.

If I had to choose between a 32 and a 30 in the same condition, and for the same price, I might go with the 30. I think the interior layout is superior to the 32, and it is not much shorter than the 32. All things considered, it probably has more usable room than my boat. That being said, I have no real complaints or regrets about the 32.
Old 06-07-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
All three boats are more similar than they are different. Good examples of racer/cruisers. CapnA compared the two C&Cs pretty well. The 30 mk2 is the newest design and has many of the interior features of new boats like aft cabin, etc. The Ranger is the oldest boat and while the longest has the least interior room because of its narrow beam. Because its older, it will be less expensive. You could probably buy 2 (or 3) Ranger 33s for one C&C 30 mk2. The PHRF numbers for the three boats range from 147 (for the C&C 30) to 162 (for the C&C 32).