Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Olson34 is spot on - what you need to consider is sailing and build quality. The Hunter 27 from that era is low in both.

Look at a Santana 525 - they have a big active fleet in BC and your area. Well made 25 footer which can handle heavy air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2011

aeronca is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
Given your list, as stated, you omit any acknowledgement that all these boat are unequal in sailing ability and original design and construction.
Admittedly, after several decades, present condition is really really important, but, still, they were and are not equal choices.

Speed-wise, under sail, you would put the Hunter 27 and the O'Day well under the others. They also suffered from cut-rate engineering and construction back in the day. OTOH, the S-27 and the Cal 27 would be a lot faster. The Ericson has very good sailing manners, and a far stronger hull-to-deck joint than any other on your list, altho the S2 might come close.
For pure sailing, the Cat 27 would be another good choice, albeit with an upgrade to the later-design rudder From Booth up in BC.

I would also agree with other posters that an outboard on a bracket is awful on a high transom on any boat that big. IIRC, only the E-27 and Sant 27 came with transom cut-outs for a stock outboard, and that makes a big difference. Yes, the old Cat 27 did come with a cutout version, but even back in the 80's it was not a good fit for the modern four-strokes coming into vogue.

BTW, you ought to put the 80's Beneteau First 26 on your list. A couple we know bought one for cruising and it's both fast and comfortable.

Happy shopping,
LB
Well being very new to sailing we really have no ideal about which boat is better than another. I have been trying to educate myself by reading what I can online, (here and elsewhere)and posting this message .

It appears to me that the Ericson 27 and Cal 27 would be the best bets for sure. However, one is a bit rough and one has an outboard. Although the owner of the Ericson did say it was not a great light air sailor.

The Catalina 27 (which I would have thought would not have been a lot different, quality wise from the the Hunter) had to my eyes a rather lot of rot in the bulkheads.

The Santana looked neat to me but again needed a bit of work and had an outboard. The Oday27 had a few things that worried me as well.

The Hunter 27 is very clean, I mean clean everywhere, no signs of leaks (yeah I know there will be some but every boat I have looked at had signs of water damage to bulkheads and the Hunters bulkheads look like new.) the motor was clean, behind the storage cabinets and under settee was clean, the deck seems solid, the sails are like new, has a good dodger, bottom is recent etc, etc.

So , yeah it seems from what I can learn there are better boats than Hunter 27s, but this seems a nice example in our price range so I would like to know what is bad about a Hunter 27,(and yes I know a Pacific Seacraft would be much nicer but I can't find one for under 10k ) Just want to know how bad is a Hunter 27, handling, is it really built so much worse or worse sailing than a Catalina 27 or S2 etc.

So anyway good and bad about a Hunter 27? Is the hull really made of Paper Mache, and do angels lose there wings everytime someone buys one etc. Or are they not bad considering the intended useage and price range?
I'm not stuck on this boat its just seems like its in good shape and we have seen some in horrible shape. (Although we found a C&C27 that I hear is a much nicer class of boat, but I think its more than a bit above our price range). Again thanks for all the replies.
Old 06-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
Oh! I almost forgot about the Pacific Seacraft 24. If I were a single man and did not want for a larger boat, this would be at the top of my list. This has got to be one of the biggest little boats on the market. And the quality seems to be really high.

Yeah like I was saying above they are very nice looking. Me and my future boat partner were walking the dock with his daughter and we found 2 within 3 slips of each other and we all three said what kind is that lets look for one of those. Then we saw the prices they bring, but yeah at least to my untrained eye they look like a beautiful boat.
Old 06-10-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I think the Cherubini designed Hunters were some of their best as far as design anyway. As far as sailing speed, the difference between the boats mentioned would not be that great.

Build quality? From what I have heard better than some of the more recent Hunters.

HUNTER 27 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
Old 06-10-2011

Thanks Brian, was just over in Victoria a few days ago, I'm on San Juan, I fly charter flights into Victoria every week of so. Or Sidney I should say.
Yeah I read conflicting things on the hunters, some say there the worst of the worst, some say not so bad, some say better than Catalinas, some say the Cheribuni designed ones were good sailing boats and better built than later models, some say not.
The opinions from around here that I get are they are alright but no one has experience with this particular type (27). So I thought I might try on here as there certainly seems to be an abundance of knowledge on Sailnet.
Thanks
What is that boat in your post? Is that yours, looks nice.
Old 06-10-2011

Canadian Sailcraft 27 - another good choice and there are a few around as well.

Maybe a bit over your budget though.

1980 Canadian Sailcraft CS 27 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

CS 27 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

Last edited by mitiempo; 06-10-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-10-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I believe that Brian sails a CS 27, a fast Ray Wall design. Well built and good sailing rep. and with a cruising interior.
Just not too many around our side of the continent.
Old 06-10-2011

Probably not too many in Washington but they can be found in many marinas near Victoria.
Old 06-10-2011

Very nice looking boat, went and looked up a few on Yachtworld. 2 of them in BC here, one for 16k and one for 18k, hmm.... quit telling me about these nice boats. I have to keep repeating to myself,quit looking at boats over my budget
Old 06-10-2011

While they are over your budget, 2 things to keep in mind.

One, they sell for less than asking. Maybe 20% less at a guess.

Two, the less you spend on a boat, the more upgrades it may need, for reliability, safety, and convenience. Things like 30 year old rigging, old wiring that might need replacing or upgrading. Not to mention things like soft decks and other problems.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.