Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011

aeronca is on a distinguished road
Looking at a Hunter 27 for first Sailboat

Looking for our first Sailboat. Sailing newbs, interested in something in the 26-29ft range. Will be using for daysailing, weekends and some longer trips. Mostly sailing in the San Juans and maybe some trips up around Vancouver Island, Desolation Sound etc. Figure its a boat to learn on so looking for something under 10k if possible.

Have looked at several boats so far, Catalina 27s, Cal 27, Ericson 27, Santana 27, Oday27, an S2 8.0 and a few others as well. Been all over Craigslist and Yachtworld, etc. Choices are a bit slim here in the Northwest, or I should say boats that don't scare me anyway.

Have found a very clean Hunter 27, I believe a 77 or 78 model. It is actuall the first boat we looked at. Has an yanmar 8hp diesel engine, very nice looking sails, very clean inside and out. Anyway was just wondering peoples experience with the Hunter 27 of this vintage. Like I said we are new to sailing and this will be our first boat, so we don't really need anything fancy or capable of bluewater sailing. I figure at this price range we should just find the boat in the best possible shape that meets our needs. But at the same time we really don't want a dog to sail either.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
I might take a second look at the Hunter. I have experience with a sailboat that had an outboard, and it was a real pain. Lots of cavitation. I would never buy a small boat with an outboard again - ever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 06-09-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I agree. And in the summer BC waters are very often windless, leading to many engine hours.
Old 06-09-2011

aeronca is on a distinguished road
Yeah we found 2 very nice looking boats with outboards and think we might not be happy with that issue. On the one hand they are relatively inexpensive to replace or work on it seems, but it just seems they would be problematic in any kind of swell or chop when you might want them.
Old 06-09-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Sounds like you have a good strategy worked out. Be sure to have a professional third party look at the boat you are about to buy. Most will be prettied up for sale, so you want to know there aren't any hidden issues that could easily remove half or all of your investment (wet core, engine). Even if you just want to enjoy it, as is, you could have a hard time selling her yourself later. Welcome aboard. First boat is very exciting!

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-09-2011
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
We had a dockmate with a Hunter 27. It was a great boat for him, and performed very well. He had it I think for at least 10 years before moving up to a Hunter 34. Personally, I think it would make a great first boat. Having the diesel will also be good for keeping the batteries up if you take trips, which it appears is part of your plans.
Old 06-09-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Lots of Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca View Post
Looking for our first Sailboat. Sailing newbs, interested in something in the 26-29ft range. Will be using for daysailing, weekends and some longer trips. Mostly sailing in the San Juans and maybe some trips up around Vancouver Island, Desolation Sound etc. Figure its a boat to learn on so looking for something under 10k if possible.

Have looked at several boats so far, Catalina 27s, Cal 27, Ericson 27, Santana 27, Oday27, an S2 8.0 and a few others as well. Been all over Craigslist and Yachtworld, etc. Choices are a bit slim here in the Northwest, or I should say boats that don't scare me anyway.

Have found a very clean Hunter 27, I believe a 77 or 78 model. It is actually the first boat we looked at. Has an yanmar 8hp diesel engine, very nice looking sails, very clean inside and out. Anyway was just wondering peoples experience with the Hunter 27 of this vintage. Like I said we are new to sailing and this will be our first boat, so we don't really need anything fancy or capable of bluewater sailing. I figure at this price range we should just find the boat in the best possible shape that meets our needs. But at the same time we really don't want a dog to sail either.
Given your list, as stated, you omit any acknowledgement that all these boat are unequal in sailing ability and original design and construction.
Admittedly, after several decades, present condition is really really important, but, still, they were and are not equal choices.

Speed-wise, under sail, you would put the Hunter 27 and the O'Day well under the others. They also suffered from cut-rate engineering and construction back in the day. OTOH, the S-27 and the Cal 27 would be a lot faster. The Ericson has very good sailing manners, and a far stronger hull-to-deck joint than any other on your list, altho the S2 might come close.
For pure sailing, the Cat 27 would be another good choice, albeit with an upgrade to the later-design rudder From Booth up in BC.

I would also agree with other posters that an outboard on a bracket is awful on a high transom on any boat that big. IIRC, only the E-27 and Sant 27 came with transom cut-outs for a stock outboard, and that makes a big difference. Yes, the old Cat 27 did come with a cutout version, but even back in the 80's it was not a good fit for the modern four-strokes coming into vogue.

BTW, you ought to put the 80's Beneteau First 26 on your list. A couple we know bought one for cruising and it's both fast and comfortable.

Happy shopping,
LB

Last edited by olson34; 06-09-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-09-2011
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
BTW, you ought to put the 80's Beneteau First 26 on your list. A couple we know bought one for cruising and it's both fast and comfortable.

Happy shopping,
LB
I would agree with this. In look at boats over the years, this is one of the boats that appealed to me.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 06-09-2011
Crotchety Old Member

Oh! I almost forgot about the Pacific Seacraft 24. If I were a single man and did not want for a larger boat, this would be at the top of my list. This has got to be one of the biggest little boats on the market. And the quality seems to be really high.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

Old 06-09-2011

sidney777 is on a distinguished road
Hello, google, offshore in hunter 27; good news. I used to be against hunters till I had 1979 H27 next to me in slip and saw 2 other hunters, 1978.
....Take a look at below. He is surveyor. Especially look at Catalina 27.
BoatUS.com: Boat Reviews by Jack Hornor, N.A.