Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011

aimcat is on a distinguished road
Decisions Decisions - Help me pick the right 1st sailboat!

This will be my husband and I's first sailboat - so we want something we can learn with easily and keep for a few years (hopefully) our budget is limited just because we already have powerboats, jet skis, etc so dont want to dump to much into this YET - so here are our choices:

Chrysler 22 - boat has 4hp motor (may need tune up), sails, etc BUT it does need some lines, blocks and a few rigging - boat has SAT for 4+ years and not been used. Also comes with trailer. Probably can get this boat for around 1500

Helsen 22 - boat is ready to go - just needs a wash/cleaning and needs a motor - 1350 firm on that price

San Jaun 21 - havent seen it yet but has everything, 2 main sails, 2 jib, 3.5hp motor and ready to go - 1000 firm

So far thats my opitions - we have looked for about a month and this is about it for options for us - What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Of the three, the SJ 21 will have the best support.... lots of them around, likely an owner's association loaded with tips and tricks, I think that's the place to start... might not be the roomiest of the three, though.

Depends on your agenda; what you want to do and where you want to do it.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-16-2011

Learn to sail - but not racing! Just cruising around out lake enjoying the scenery, maybe camp out on the boat a night here and there. We will be on a lake that is fairly wide and good sized.

Helsen

Chry 22

Last edited by Faster; 06-16-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: fixed pics
Old 06-16-2011
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
the SJ21 might have the best support, but the Helsen is in my opinion your best bet. A lot roomier than the SJ and Chrysler. The H is a wider and little longer boat (a true 22' compared to 20.5' for the other 2) This extra length and beam will make quite a difference in a small boat like that, especially for that once and a while over-nighting. All are nice pocket sailers, but I would choose the Helsen 22, with its longer LWL and a weight in between the Chrysler and SJ and the same std Sail Area as the Chrysler, she is a quicker boat, but not as temperamental as the SJ.
Just buy one and go sailing.

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]
Old 06-16-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The Helsen is a pretty little boat... in this price bracket as a 'trial' it's pretty hard to go too wrong....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-16-2011

Ok gonna throw another in the mix....a 26 chrysler? 1500? No trailer. Would a 26 foot be over doing it since we are new at this?

Yes I do really like the helsen. I actually love the yellow. I know most people probably won't like it though. That name on the side has to come off though!
Old 06-16-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
The problem with going with a boat that has no trailer is you become liable for yard storage fees. Having a trailer that you can put in a driveway can save you a lot of extra $$$. You already knew this though.
$1500 for a 26' boat sounds pretty cheap. Does it come with a motor?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-16-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
A used motor for the Helson might easily double its price. Real cheap outboards can be nightmares.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Old 06-16-2011

So your saying that finding a reliable outboard for the Helsen would increase its value.

Also on the 26fter has very old Johnson that sat all winter - and they arent sure it works.
Old 06-16-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Question

A reliable motor might increase the value, but sadly, you almost for sure wouldn't break even on a new motor come resale time. Old 2-stroke outboards will run for a long, long time if they don't sit with the carburetors full of fuel, but most of them have. It evaporates and turns into insoluble gunk.
whether you'd get your money back or not, you need a motor for security. I would recommend a new 2 stroke. They are fuel injected, which makes them fuel efficient, non polluting, light for their power... if it wasn't for how bad the old ones stunk, polluted, and wasted fuel, modern ones would be very popular.
I don't sell or represent any boat motor products.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.