Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011

aimcat is on a distinguished road
Final Decisions on sailboats - help needed!

Well as in my other post I had thought that getting the Helsen was out but it is still in the running just finding a time to get the boat because it is 3 hours from us - but I need a final decision on which boat I am getting -

Here is the Helsen - nothing wrong just needs engine

C-22 - needs some rigging, cleaning, etc - motor needs tune up

Now have also found a 23 North american spirit - needs nothing to sail

20 Santana - ready to go - no trailer - but feel like this may be a little too small if my husband and I plan to spend a night out on the lake?

THOUGHTS! I want to make up my mind but since this is our first boat i need help!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
In my opinion "needs a tuneup" is what people write when the engine is comprehensively knackered. Rough running can mean anything up to and including compression failure. So I'd value that boat as if it has no outboard. If you can get it going, that's a bonus.

As far as which boat goes, YOU need to come up with your purchasing criteria and then decide which boat meets them best. Internal room sounds like it's high on your list.
Old 06-20-2011

Easy to sail, durable and good made boat, something that we could learn and keep for the next 2-3 years then move up....?
Old 06-20-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Suggest seeing if your local library has any of these books on small boat purchasing :

Amazon.com: small cruising sailboats
Old 06-21-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
If you don't have time to make a 6 hour round trip to get it how will you find time to sail it?
You know you love the H. You know you want it. Go get it. You'll never learn any younger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Old 06-21-2011

Oh we will have time to sail its just getting away from town to go do it - our lake is 10 minutes away so that wont be an issue. I had picked the Helsen but then I saw the NA23 and thought hmmm....the design of the NA looks better to me? But honestly I want the best sailing, easiest sailing and best build of the two?
Old 06-21-2011
Both ends are pointy.

At this point all a remote advisor can say is the usual stuff: go visit the boats. Tap on the deck around hardware with a small hammer or a screwdriver handle and make sure it doesn't sound mushy. Bonk, bonk, not thud thud. Look and see if anything is breaking or falling apart. You already know two opposing things 1: bothj these boats are old and still sailing so they must have been made reasonably well, and 2: both these boats are old and still sailing so they must need some work.
Go with your gut. Life's too short to sail an ugly boat, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Just because I like it.
Old 06-21-2011

Well the NA23 has a stuck keel which I understand can be something simple or very complicated? I liked the overall look of the NA23 better than the Helsen. What are your guys opinions based on that?
Old 06-21-2011
Both ends are pointy.

Meaning no offense but this is getting too complicated for me. Flip a coin, buy a boat, go sailing.
A stuck centerboard can probably be pried down if you can reach it with the boat on the trailer but if it's iron or steel and all swelled up with rust it will be an endless hassle or a major repair.
Wanna work or sail?

Just because I like it.
Old 06-21-2011

I just wanted to make sure we were getting the best boat. I know all their is to know about power boat makes and models but I dont about sailboats - thats why I thought this forum was here to collectively get help from one another. Wasnt trying to make this complicated for anyone.

Guy says keel line will not go down but if they swim under boat the keel can be moved some, but will not drop down.