Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011

kgruskin is on a distinguished road
Fast Cruiser for San Diego/Southern CA Area

I'm currently starting to look for a used boat for myself in the 33-40ft range. I'd prefer to stay in the 34-38 range but I am willing to be a little flexible. My question for those with a little more boat buying experience is what models would be a good choice for a cruiser that can be used for day sailing as well as 1-2 week long trips out to Catalina or down to the tip of Baja Mexico single handed. I want something that can move pretty good in the water, and that is fun to sail.

Currently the two boat manufacturers that have come to mind are a C&C or a J boats specifically the J/35c, J/37c, J/36 or J40 models. My concern is the J boats may not be very practical for single handed or for much comfort as a cruiser/racer. I really like the layout of Pearson's and Caliber's but they are a bit too slow from what I can tell and don't look like they would be as much fun to sail around on a daily/weekend basis. They seem more geared to those with a lot of time to do long distance cruising.

I'm really looking for something that can do double digits in terms of speed if possible, and that handles well in light as well as heavy winds. The most important thing I'm looking for is suggestions for boats that sail fast and can be used for 1-2 week cruises (I realize this is contradictory) single handed in some comfort if possible. Thanks for the advice in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2011

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
I would suggest that you not look exclusively for out-right top speed in a single handed cruiser. I would also not be looking for heavy boats that require a lot of breeze to get moving. The area you will be sailing has predominately light to moderate winds, if the boat is too heavy you will be motoring a lot.

The smaller of the J Boats you listed would be a good choice but be sure to get a good hull survey.
Old 07-01-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
You may want to consider a multi? A older tri is a good buy, and will get it on with light winds. Your budget is what counts!...........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-03-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Schock 35 is a obvious candidate for SoCal in that size and speed range.

Schock 35s PHRFs slightly faster than a J105. It would be a good fast cruiser. You have to modify the rig for short handing handing. There is a active Fleet organization in the SoCal area. Contact them for details on what Schock 35s are for sale and what to look for. Some Schock 35 have been raced hard, others have been babied. Hull is solid hand laid e-glass.

Another choice might be the Santana 30/30 or Santana 35 or Santana 39 - both are relatively fast performance cruisers, local SoCal favorties. All hand laid solid e-glass hulls.

A interesting choice might be the New York 36. Built by Schock for the New York Yacht Club as a performance offshore boat with lux accommodations. 88 were built. Solid e-glass hulls, also hand lain.

The J boats were made by a number of different contract manufacturers over the years, with all the attendant quality issues contract manufacturing tends to have. Therefore, one needs to be exceedingly careful about a survey, especially the hull cores.

Last edited by WDS123; 07-03-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2011

kgruskin is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies so far. The J Boats being made by different manufacturers is a concern for me and I've heard stories of their keels actually falling off. I'm sure that is and extremely rare occurrence but the fact it has happened is a very concerning (John Vigor's Blog: Deep-sixing the keel).

I thought about a multi hull but I really don't like the reduced space and the fact I'd be sailing from San Diego to Catalina about 5 times a year would probably make them a bad choice as well.

WDSchock,

Thanks for your advice I hadn't thought of the boats you mentioned and I'll have to check them out. As far as my budget goes ideally I'd like to stay under 40K, but if I really fell in love with something I could double my budget (famous last words).

Last edited by kgruskin; 07-03-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: forgot link
Old 07-03-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Kg,

The boats I mentioned are all readily available in SoCal on the used market for less than $40k
Old 07-03-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
Though I am partial to the J36 (nicer interior than the J/35, and we've cruised ours from Maine to Manhattan), an Express 37 would be another possible candidate. The NY36 is a pretty boat, but do the flat sections forward (IOR rule?) pound in a seaway?
Old 07-03-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

There is a loaded Ericson-built Olson 34 for sale right now in SD; look on YW.
We have cruised a sistership for 15 years and love having a really fast cruiser.

LB