Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2003

Tequiza Terri is on a distinguished road
1976 Morgan 28OI any thoughts?

I am looking at a 1976 Morgan OI. I see some real possibilities with this boat. The interior is dated and needs updating and the hull and deck could use a good cleaning and polish. She is in sail away condition save for the cosmetics. Any thoughts on making this my fist big boat? I want to do some offshore sailing Ft Lauderdale to Bahamas but mostly I plan to do ICW sailing between St. Augustine and Vero Beach down to the Keys. Should the Canopy mount mast vs a keel stepped mast concern me?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

The Morgan OI 28 of that era offered a lot of room for a cheap cost. This came at the price of poor build quality, poor motion comfort, and poor sailing ability. If you are not concerned with sailing ability or motion comfort, then the OI 28 might work for you.

You are talking about a 27 year old boat. If I were going to cross to the Bahamas in an OI 28, I would certainly want to upgrade a number of areas and make sure that the long term maintenance has been done. As is true of almost any boat that age, unless the prior owner has already done this work, you can expect to need to address some kind of combination of the following items:
∑ Sails, chainplates, mast step and associated suporting structure, standing and running rigging that are beyond their useful lifespan,
∑ an engine that is in need of rebuild or replacement,
∑ worn out or out of date deck, galley, and head hardware,
∑ Out of date safety gear
∑ electronics that are non operational, or in need of updating,
∑ electrical and plumbing systems that need repairs, upgrades to modern standards or replacement.
∑ Blister, fatigue, rudder, hull deck joint, loose or rotted bulkheads, or deck coring problems
∑ Keel bolt replacement (bolt on keel) or delamination of the hull from the ballast for a glassed in keel.

This of course is in addition to the probable need to replace worn out upholstery, and perhaps address a whole range of aesthetic issues. I would not work about changing the mast to a keel stepped spar, expecially if the standing rigging, chainplates, spreaders, mast step and support structure, and the associated hardware are in good shape.

One problem with inexpensive, poor sailing boats like these is that they are often purchased by inexperienced sailors who are under capitalized. As a result they do not always see the long term problems with the boat and if they do they don''t always have the money to repair them correctly.

Jeff

Old 08-02-2003

dukemon68 is on a distinguished road

If she''ll float-go sailing-by the time you get the "perfect"boat it may be too late.
Old 08-04-2003

cgha33 is on a distinguished road

The IO 28''s offer a lot of room below, and if properly maintained, like all boats, will serve you well as a first boat.

I used to own one, and while she never set any speed records, she was sturdy, safe, strong and stable.

I disagree with the assessment that these boats were poorly built. Just ask any of the Morgan owners whose boats were built by Morgan Yachts what they think of their boats. I''m sure that you''ll get the "two thumbs up" from most of them.

Many boat purists don''t like the IOs because of the relatively high freeboard, and that criticism is often transferred into criticism of the boat''s sailing characteristics.

They''re a lot of boat when compared against others of that age and price range.

One Former, But Happy, IO28 Owner.