Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
Tartan/Yankee 30

Does anyone know if the Yankee had a starboard galley option similar to the one offered for the Tartan?

Also, what is involved in making one a starboard galley, and knocking out the aft shelving to put berthsd under the cockpit like the starboard galley version had?

I have found a couple Yankee''s and a couple Tartans, some of which are even near my budget, but alas, they''re all the aft galley configuration, which I''m not too fond of.

Also, what should I look out for getting into one of these boats? All the things which affect an older boat of course, but anything specific?

Thanks.

-- James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2003

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road
Tartan/Yankee 30

James,

You''ve probably already found this site:

http://clickit.go2net.com/search?cid=239171&site=srch&area=srch.noncomm.goog le&shape=textlink&cp=info.metac&rawto=http://storm.prohosting.com/yankee30/

At the bottom of the page there are many owner-posted photos. The design changed a bit over the years; I''m sure you will be able to see options in these pics.

Jeff
Old 07-30-2003

Tartan/Yankee 30

yhea.

I think I realy prefer this layout.

http://melbourneharbor.com/forsale/tartan30.html

hrm... I wonder if that boats still for sale.

I wonder what it would take to finance it, AND have enough time to sail it back here through the canal....

-- James
Old 07-31-2003

Tartan/Yankee 30

This particular example looks to be a well-found boat, with some major upgrades (engine, full suit of sails, etc.) already in place.

I always thought the starboard galley was such an extravagant use of space, but to each his own… some classic Pearsons have this layout. If you''re going to be a liveaboard, it might make a difference to have that un-cramped galley.

One thing I <em>do</em> like is the dedicated navigation station just starboard of the companionway as you enter (you can see the blue-upholstered seat facing forward in the photo that shows the saloon facing aft from the forecabin). You''re not expected to sit backwards at the end of the setee with the table up around your armpits and the backrest cushion limiting your movement, nor are you expected to <u>stand</u> in the middle of the decksole and hold onto whatever you can just to walk off distance on your chart.<p>I''d give up a quarter berth every time to get a dedicated navigation station with a proper seat on a 30-footer. Halberg-Rassey is the only current manufacturer that I know of who is providing this on a 30'' boat. The old Crealock 31 had this emminently sensible layout. (When am I going to have seven people on board overnight anyway? But I''ll always want to be comfortable while plotting a course). I''d rather sit at the dinette than stand over a table that is too small to lay a chart out on anyway, while holding onto a deckhead handrail and tearing the chart by dragging a pencil across the <em>icebox lid</em> that some designer put there to conserve space so that he could fit in another berth.

Okay, my rant is over, and I feel better.

Good luck on your search. But you''ll find many more Yankees than Tartans on the west coast…

Jeff
Old 07-31-2003

Tartan/Yankee 30

Check out this list of Yankees for sale and recently sold: some pics show various belowdecks layouts:
<em>http://storm.prohosting.com/yankee30/y30_forsale.htm</em>
Old 07-31-2003

Tartan/Yankee 30

Old 07-31-2003

mcain is on a distinguished road
Tartan/Yankee 30

As I mentioned in a previous board, I owned a Yankee 30 at one time and really liked it. I have also chartered Tartan 30''s on the Chesapeake (bay only, no offshore) several times and also liked that boat. I can understand anyone''s preference for a certain layout--everyone has their optimum in mind and every boat is a compromise. I had the aft galley Yankee and it did live well. It seemed to take up a minimum amount of space for a fairly functional layout. You might consider a weekend charter of the aft galley layout before making a final decision.
Old 07-31-2003

Tartan/Yankee 30

That is a realy good idea. Know anywhere that charters them? I''m sailing with a cat on his Tartan 30 (aft galley) on the 16''th of next month, so I''ll let you know my impressions.

I got into sailing because I liked the concept of harnesing the wind to travel over the water, and the concept of simple (reletivley) self sufficient living.

I am getting more and more into sailing because of all the cool people I meet, from you guys here with your advice and time you''ve been sharing with me (which has been invaluable) to the people who''ve taken me out sailing so I could learn about their boats, I''ve seen few other areas where such a nice group of people come together.

Thanks.

-- James