Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
Jeanneau 37.1 - observations from a charter

SailNetter John Drake asked me to post some comments I shared with him via email following our recent charter on a 2000 Jeanneau 37.1 (monohull sloop). If I''m criticizing a sistership you own, no offense intended. I didn''t take notes and compose this to be a boat review, so take it for what it is - a series of observations and opinions from a relative newbie.

Cheers,
Duane
@@@@@@

I would like to believe that my future boat will not suffer from the numerous deficiencies of this last charter boat. I will keep our boat''s bottom clean and polish my fuel so as to keep the tank free of sludge, for example, so that losing an engine due to fuel clogging will not be a normal ocurrence. While there are so many great reasons why larger boats are better, there are lots of reasons why they are worse (especially for a couple with a smallish first mate, and limited funds). I believe we
will be happy with a 36-38 footer, if adequately laid out, for our future boat.

I wish I knew how well she sailed in good condition. The quality of the deck gear, standing, and running rigging was marginal
(in my still-inexperienced opinion), but that''s probably true of all the modest-priced production boats. The sails were not
in great shape, either. The engine access was better than most, but not as good as some I have seen. This one had mediocre performance under power, but supposedly she was overpropped and the revs were limited.

As to accomodation and layout, the V-berth was fine for us, but we stand only 67 and 61 inches high. Being short is a great asset on a boat, for the most part. The wash basin was situated such that you could not shave in it and there was no mirror in the head. None of the lockers are adequately ventilated, so that means a refit of some kind. The fixed table in the saloon was a PITA, especially to reach the lockers behind it. A table which stows against the bulkhead would be preferable.

The galley was OK (stbd at the base of companionway), and the engine-driven frig/freezer was quite good, although always a pain to get stuff in the bottom (would need customized shelf racks, I think). The fans and lights were mostly crap and most
of the sole boards moved and rattled as you walked. The 3 water tanks held about 100 gals total, which is not too bad, I guess. The ports were OK, but the hatches could not stand up to charterer use and were all broken in some fashion. The joinery did not impress me at all; like John Drake said, they walk the fine line of barely tolerable.

The nav station was cramped (as expected). We liked the head/shower pretty much. The aft cabin was just storage space for us;
although it was pretty wide it has the low headroom characteristic of aft-cockpit boats. I asked my wife if we should try
sleeping there one night just to see - she said no. The cockpit lockers were very large; I should have tried to see if the
huge portside locker was open to the boat interior (not good if it was). There was a large hanging locker between the head
and nav station that contained foul-weather gear (I should have checked if there was a plastic pan and drain). There was a
compartment inside the shower (toward the cockpit locker) that could hold wet hanging clothing (nice).

I think there is enough storage (under the settees were caverns of space) and living space for the two of us for many months,
and for 2 guests for a week or two. Ventilation in the aft cabin would need thought.

The cockpit was OK for seating comfort, but the bimini struts were always in the way of your arms or back when trying to get
comfortable. Squeezing around the wheel was a pain, but I guess that''s typical. The fixed table had leaves which fold up and
lock, and sometimes that fixed table provided good support; other times it was just a PITA to get from one winch to the
other. Not enough places to store drinks, glasses, sunscreen, etc, and no organization for all the halyards, lines, etc. Much
of that can be remedied, of course.

From directly abaft the wheel, I could see the masthead and main luff pretty well thru the bimini window. I could not see the
genoa telltales at all. Steering from the sideseats didn''t seem too comfortable, so I didn''t.

She tracked well enough when clsoe-hauled or close reaching and the sails were balanced. Deep broad reaching with some frisky following seas required extra attention. Wing-on-wing without a pole was something I did for only a short while since it was too tricky to be fun for me in those conditions.

Weather helm was an issue in the gusts, but reefing enough to eliminate any tendency to round up left us very slow. My trip report and other posts talk about all the factors for that.

As for motion comfort, I''m not experienced enough to know. We had some 6-8'' seas on one passage on a beam reach and we got the occassional big ones that really rocked you. The boat seemed to handle them fine, and I was usually at the helm, which makes it easier to take big motion, I think. My wife didn''t complain of any discomfort, so I guess that''s a good sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2003

magnusmurphy is on a distinguished road

Hi

As soon as I get the time (probably this evening), I''ll post my impressions of the Beneteau 361 we chartered for a month (July 2003). Many of my observations are similar to Duane''s but there are a few significant differences and a few (only a few) critical shortcomings of this boat that can lead to serious situations - like setting the boat on fire accidently- I''ll explain in detail in my post.

Magnus Murphy
Old 07-31-2003

"...like setting the boat on fire accidently..."

Magnus, you do have a flair for the dramatic! That''s worse than "continued next week."

Looking forward to your post. 8^)
Old 12-24-2003

JHodor,

The 37.1 desgnation was how the Charter company listed it. I don''t recall trying to confirm that.

You''ll get no arguments from me on your point. The main complaints were about the poor condition caused by inattention to maintenance. It also (based on my sample of one) speaks to the types of abuse that Caribbean charter boats can get and how well a boat may or may not hold up that that.

Personally, I am guessing that our Jeanneau charter boat, if in caring hands since new, would have been a decent boat, but my observations for that particular boat in its condition do stand.

I just read your long post on your take of Jeanneau boats and do like to see other''s opinions. Thanks for posting them!

Fair winds,

Duane

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.