Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011

seahorse7 is on a distinguished road
Cal 30, Bristol 28, Tartan 30, C&C 30

Bristol early/mid 70s - is the deep fin not the 29.9 although I think hull is almost the same
(tiller)

same era 60s/70s fin keelers - opinions - assume similar condition, more or less stock, phrf racing configuration ...

which one likely to lead to the easiest offshore conversion - not circumnavigate but Bermuda, Bahamas, Key Largo ...

Yes, $ a factor. I consider, smaller but not really bigger - $, draft 5' maybe 6' - single hand factor ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2011

Rozz is on a distinguished road
my Bristol 29 is mostly original and would be an easy convert and she handles great in most weather. i know mine is older then ur looking at but there isn't to much difference. i have made a few changes because i like to camp off the coast here in so Cal for a few days at a time. i would take her farther but i have a vhf from the early 90's and no GPS... just my training and charts

oh yeah and im a single hander..

Last edited by Rozz; 07-12-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-12-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I do not believe that there was a Bristol 28. I think there was a Bristol 27 and Bristol 30 and both were very different boats than the Bristol 29 and Bristol 29.9. If I had to chose fromf the boats on your list, there is no doubt in my mind that the only one that I would want to take to Bermuda would be a Tartan 30 both from a build quality and a sailing ability standpoint, with the C&C 30 being a distant second and the others not even on my list. One nice thing about the Tartan 30 on the US east coast, is that in many areas they were a one design class until about 10-12 years ago and so you find nicely maintained and nicely upgraded versions out there at pretty reasonable prices.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 07-12-2011

seahorse7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I do not believe that there was a Bristol 28. I think there was a Bristol 27 and Bristol 30 and both were very different boats than the Bristol 29 and Bristol 29.9. If I had to chose fromf the boats on your list, there is no doubt in my mind that the only one that I would want to take to Bermuda would be a Tartan 30 both from a build quality and a sailing ability standpoint, with the C&C 30 being a distant second and the others not even on my list. One nice thing about the Tartan 30 on the US east coast, is that in many areas they were a one design class until about 10-12 years ago and so you find nicely maintained and nicely upgraded versions out there at pretty reasonable prices.

Jeff
BRISTOL 28 sailboat on sailboatdata.com.. More than 6000 sailboats, sailing yachts, dinghies and sailing craft listed. - Bristol 28 - 8 or so hulls 1972-1976 - Deep keel' version of 29.9 although it predated 29.9. I surmised that it did not fit the rule so well so they made a cruising version - aka the 29.9. Here is a photo.

I do hear/read enough nice things about the Tartan.

How about an Ericson? 27 or 29 70s Bruce King or the later fractional "+" series? I have a preference for fractional but do not ever seem to see offshore types in the 'cheap' range (under $15k). Jeff, I know your general preference for waterline - and I agree, just that the initial use is likely to be a lot of miscellaneous Bay sailing and the 5' footish draft range is close to the limit for our area.

Anything you would go for in the 25 to 28 range, caribean cruising ,,, ? - Thanks and I realize that might put Bermuda off the destination list.
Attached Thumbnails
Cal 30, Bristol 28, Tartan 30, C&C 30-b28.jpg  

Last edited by seahorse7; 07-12-2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 07-13-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Check out Santana 30/30 as well as Schock 35 both well priced on used market and quite a few hulls in FLA market.
Old 07-13-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Ask Bob Perry what boats might be good choices. Highly unlikely he'll be shilling his product exclusively. WD, your posts are spamming your product. It's unfortunate that you aren't able to use your considerable expertise to acknowledged other maker's boats as well.
Old 07-13-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
Always been a fan of the Tartan's. Although with older boats the one that was nicest new might be the biggest piece of crap due to lack of maintenance.
Old 07-13-2011

DanielBoon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorse7 View Post
[url=http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1105]

How about an Ericson? 27 or 29 70s Bruce King or the later fractional "+" series? I have a preference for fractional but do not ever seem to see offshore types in the 'cheap' range (under $15k). Jeff, I know your general preference for waterline - and I agree, just that the initial use is likely to be a lot of miscellaneous Bay sailing and the 5' footish draft range is close to the limit for our area.
Out of interest, why have you skipped the E-28?
Old 07-13-2011

ramminjammin is on a distinguished road
What Jeff H said.....

I purchased a 1980 Tartan 30 tall rig a few years ago( competition model with 500 lbs more lead and taller mast.That a guy from E usa had class raced and he was really a big promoter of that class. And he has her well maintained and set up, although she sat on the hard for awhile. I recently had to rebuild the rudder, but now it is bullet proof, i just went over her today cleaning everything inside and was remarking how solid she is after all these years. Find one of these that was looked after and you will not regret it.
Old 07-14-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Wink Objectivity....

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
Ask Bob Perry what boats might be good choices. Highly unlikely he'll be shilling his product exclusively. WD, your posts are spamming your product. It's unfortunate that you aren't able to use your considerable expertise to acknowledged other maker's boats as well.
'Fraid I'll have to add a "plus one" to that.

Lots of choices out there, although most of us like best the boat we own (or build...).

Heck, I'd even suggest adding an Ericson-built Olson 911LE to his list of models to consider. Not that I have any bias of course!

LB

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.