Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
O' Day 25 vs Catalina 25

OK, so a place near me has an 1982 O'Day 25 and a 1980 Catalina 25. Both with centerboards and trailers. They have comparable equipment & price. This size and trailerable is something I am interested in. So that being said, what are the differences in sailing these two boats? Mast stepping ease would be nice to know as well. Anything anyone has had experience with would be great. The obvious inspection issues aside. Also, not being cranky but, please don't suggest some other type of boat to look at too. There are not a lot for sale here in MN and the surounding area and these are what I am interested in. These are what are available for what I want in a boat.

Thanks!

CB

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
These boats are both made by reputable production manufacturer's I would go with whatever boat is in better condition or whichever has the best price. I would say that they are so similar in build quality that most of the details point out will be minor. I have never been on the oday, but have been on a catalina 25 several times and it was a great boat.
Old 07-16-2011

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
Consider this: the Catalina has an installed base of more than 7,000. The manufacturer is still in business. There are a few parts suppliers who do nothing but specialize in the brand (viz. Catalina Direct in Sacramento).

Own an older boat for a few years and you'll see that parts availability can be an issue.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.