SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Too much boat too soon?

13K views 60 replies 38 participants last post by  imagine2frolic 
#1 ·
Hey all,

We have had our S2 7.3 for 2 years and been sailing her regularly. We have been looking for something bigger and have found a really sweet deal on a Hunter 34. Someone has told me that we are moving up in size too fast. We just did the basic keelboat course on a Tartan Ten and had no issues with the size. We have plans to take the basic cruising course on the Hunter when we get it. Are we biting off more than we can chew with the size increase?

Thanks

#3 ·
I know a few that STARTED with 40+ ft boats. So I doubt going up the amount you are talking about would be bad. Then again, I went combined sailing an 8' pram and paretns 21' trailer sailor, took 20 yrs off, and went right to a 29'ish foot boat. Probably could have gone longer yet, with out missing a beat!

Marty

#5 ·
If it feels right, it is right. One thing to remember is that, from a maintenance standpoint, you may have only increased LOA by 30%, but you have increased area by 150%, so bottom painting, topside cleaning, etc, will take longer and require more material. Running rigging is also beefier, longer, and therefore more expensive. From a sailing standpoint, you are gonna love it! longer waterline and more ballast means easier motion and higher speed. Enjoy!!!

#8 ·
Yup. I would be more inclined to worry about the number of boat systems than the additional length. However, you already have 2 years ownership experience, so this may not be as big a jump as your "adviser" thinks.

Go for it!

#6 ·
Only thing you will notice is that the bow is further away and the weight makes docking a little different. it weights about 4 times the S2. Go for it the hunter 34 is a great boat

#7 ·
In the event that this may be a friend, I won't refer to them as a moron, but they are misleading you.

It's up to you as to whether or not you are ready. In three years we moved from a 26 footer, to a 31 footer, to a 36 footer, and we never looked back.

If you are sure as to your goals and what you ultimately want, then you are on track.

#9 ·
I've been on many different size boats through the year, but these were all owned by others. When I decided to get my own boat, I went straight to a 36 footer. It took me a little while to get used to the size, but now it feels quite comfortable...sometimes now I think I should have gone larger.

#11 ·
I went from a Hobie 17 to a Hinckley b40. I didn't want to dick around with every boat in between. I knew I always wanted a b40 So I just held out until the time was right. The Biggest difference it that take offs and landings are a bit different between the two boats. I mean docking. It will take time to learn the new new boat as far as docking. I have had the b40 about 6 months and feel very comfy docking now. Except for that one time I hit the piling with the flag pole trying to back in, she don't back well. Broke the staff but glued it back together. Then there was the time I forgot to uncleat the the spring line leaving the dock!, That was embarrassing...

#13 ·
I listened to others and bought a hunter 23, within a year I bought the Oday 30, Not quite large enough for live aboard should I someday but my sights and heart are set on a 36 or larger if I'm ever able to break the ties to house ownership.

#15 ·
Take the Hunter 34 for sailing, it will sail very differently than your curtesy boat. Since you took a course in a T10, guess you are in Great Lakes area. why not a T10 ?

#21 ·
The veridct?? Well, when I told the seller that I wanted a survey and then to launch the boat and do a sea trial prior to the purchase he told me that he was no longer selling the boat. I do however see it still for sale as well as listed on a new website.... I am going to create a beware thread to warn anyone else of this clown. Not sure what he's hiding but I'd hate to find out the hard way.

#23 ·
Sorry it didn't work out. I agree that if the seller isn't willing to have a sea trial (around here the buyer pays for the expenses) then it is a huge red flag.

Good luck looking.

Dave

#22 ·
Sorry, it often works out for the best. It is possible the seller does not want to spend any additional fees on the boat. See trials usually require put in and take out fees plus a captain if seller does not want to go out. Where I purchased my boat in Annapolis it was $600-800 easy with no guarantee that you will purchase the boat. My seller was eager since the boat sat on hard for a long time and yard fees were eating her up. as per size of the boat I took ASA101 and 3 outings on friends boats and plunged into a Bristol 35.5. Went out on it 2-3 times with friends with experience and now I am comfortable. Still learning each time I go out but the boat is solid and I need not to look for another boat for quite a while if ever. Have gone out about 20 times since last July and love it. Go for it.

#26 ·
We went from a 17' dinghy to a 1975, 38' CnC. Started out looking for something about 32-34' but ran into the 38 and fell in love. We're very glad we got the 38; we love the way it handles and the extra room. Two thumbs up from the admiral.

Think through your maneuvers before doing them. The bigger boat needs a little more room.

There's a ton of good used boats out there - another one will come along.

L. Erie boater too.

#33 ·
I love my Catalina 30. As you probably already know, there is a wealth of internet information on this "classic plastic" production boat. It was my "first" boat (still is, I just haven't found my next one yet). When I first started looking at boats, I thought it might be best to start small and work my way up as I became more experienced. However, my sailing instructor offered the advice of "go as big as you can afford."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.