Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011

Grand River Raider is on a distinguished road
Aspiring Sailor Seeking Good First Boat

I posted this elsewhere and did not get any responses. Being the new guy to the "asylum" as I've heard it referred to, I may have posted my questions in the wrong place.

I'm in the process of learning how to sail and will be completing basic keel, basic cruising and bareboat cruising courses in the next few weeks. I am looking for my first boat and trying to decide what would be best at this point.

The factors I'm considering most are that I will be single-handing it most of the time, I would like to be able to get a number of friends in the cockpit for a daysail (so it can't be too small) and I would eventually like to be able to do some extended coastal cruising in the future without feeling the boat is too small to do so comfortably. Sailing will be exclusively in the Great Lakes for the foreseeable future. I understand that the cost of maintenance for longer boats is considerably more than shorter boats so this is a consideration too. So my first question is what would be a good length boat to meet these criteria? I've been considering anywhere between a 28' and
37' boat. Got some input that the actual sailing of a 37' would not be so difficult with the right set-up, but that bringing it in for a safe landing would likely be more the issue. I'd like to hear other people's thoughts too. BTW, I'm looking to spend up to 40k, maybe a little bit more for the "one", if such a boat can be had in the 40k range.

Also curious about brands and boat quality/durability given that I will be getting an older boat. I've read quite a bit that Tartans make high quaility boats in terms of their construction and durability. Any other recommendations given the scenario I described above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Mid 80s Ericson 34 or 35. Both will fit your needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-20-2011

Grand River Raider is on a distinguished road
That is the boat length I've been leaning toward. Any preferences regarding 35-2 or 35-3 in the Ericson?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.