Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011

fryewe is on a distinguished road
I don't know steel sailboats, but I do know steel submarines. For 37 years.

And every year of those 37, each boat I served on had at least 45 days of dedicated refit per quarter where 10 to 20 people were usually working on preservation of areas that were in need of it due to heavy rust. And the work areas were generally small and tight and dark.

And every boat had detailed maintenance plans for both preventive and corrective maintenance due to the nature of dissimilar metals and the resultant galvanic corrosion.

All this was necessary even though only the best suited materials of high quality were used.

I can't imagine the effort and expense of keeping a steel hulled sailboat from degrading. I do know that my 1977 GRP hull is strong, forgiving, and requires very limited maintenance and inspection. And I can put a hole in it for a new sensor, or plug a hole for an old sensor, in a couple of days with skills I have taught myself by reading and study and practice. I sure couldn't do that on a steel hull.

My hull has gel coat blisters. Small ones about 5mm each, and dozens of them, all at the waterline. There is no structural weakening from this. It is cosmetic, and perhaps it knocks 0.01 knot from my speed. Perhaps I'll fix them some day, but they have been there for about 25 years and haven't gotten any worse.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2011

fryewe is on a distinguished road
The boat looks great in the listing, but...

"This yacht, whilst remaining a solid and robust steel cruiser is now in need of some tlc. The asking price of 25k Euros reflects this."

It's in Malaysia, registered in Hong Kong. Why?
Old 07-31-2011

Boatinglifeaway is on a distinguished road
I really don't think that kind of boat should be a first starter consideration. Just my opinion.
Old 07-31-2011

lafayette is on a distinguished road
Yes Brian, this is the boat i'm looking for in Malaysia. What i like the most is this boat is vrey large. The brokers will remove the hull in August. also good news my wife like
For me by looking to these pictures the boat look great, but it remain to check out the hull, the base mast, the Shrouds metal, the backstay.

Honestly what do you think?

david L
Old 07-31-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
I've seen that boat. Not a bad deal for 35,000 USD. Expect to put another 25-30, 000 into it. You'd be well placed if your off across the Indian Ocean. If you look clsely you can see how the steel is sucking in between the ribs, some would say no go over this.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-31-2011

turbulicity is on a distinguished road
Honestly, I think you are misinformed. You take the fiber glass boats right off the table because you believe they have osmosis problems. Well, they don't, as many already told you here. You are disregarding those comments and pushing ahead get some forced encouragement. I say heed the advices of the people here with real experience and avoid an expensive disappointment.

With the 40+ ft steel boat, you will be way over your head. Keeping a glass boat in good order is overwhelming work for most people. Not that the hull requires any attention really but all the other components are enough of a pain to care for. Add a steel hull into the mix and ... Be forewarned, there will be serious rust in that thing. You won't be able to fix it yourself. You will always worry about the condition of your hull. Do you know the thickness of the steel hull as designed and how much of it is left by now? How long do you expect that boat to serve you?

I am a very cautious and skeptical person. As a fiber glass boat owner, never once I had a doubt about the integrity of my hull. I will outlast me any other parts of the boat for sure.

I am not bashing steel boats here. They have their advantages but they should be undertaken for the right reason by people who know all about them.
Tim R. likes this.
Old 07-31-2011
On The Learning Curve

veprjack is on a distinguished road
Keeping in mind that I'm a newbie, I have to say that the interior of the 1979 Finot Reve des tropique is amazing! WOW! Since I'm looking for a boat to live aboard on, I was blown away by the comfort, amenities and size! The only thing, and it's fixable/relatively minor, is the lack of a shower down under... Other than that, the boat appears to be a good value. Of course, other posters with more knowledge of things that go beyond cosmetics have already cautioned about rust! So, get a good survey/inspection and don't let the beauty of the interior cloud your judgement!

Best of luck!
Jack
Old 07-31-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
David

It is an old worn out boat. It states that it needs a little tlc. When a broker says that it usually is understated.

While a good design she looks home built - and not very well. Not only is the plating as fair as an old used oil barrel but the chine isn't fair either.

Are you a competent steel welder? If not you will have to pay to have work done. I would expect 6 months to a year and a lot of money before she is ready for sea. And then you have all the ongoing problems of a steel boat for the rest of your ownership.

An aluminum saildrive on a steel boat could be a huge issue as well. The last haulout was 3 years ago. A great deal can happen in 3 years. Especially with a steel hull and aluminum running gear.

Yes the interior looks good - the easiest part of a boat to make look good. It was rebuilt recently.

If you think a few cosmetic blisters are a big issue what about rust streaks? Not to mention all the corners inside where the frames meet the hull and moisture collects. Steel boats rust from the inside out, most often in places you can't see. The unsightly rust streaks outside are less critical just ugly.

You would be much better to purchase a smaller fiberglass boat that is in better condition. Even then expect to add 20+% to any asking price for upgrades and repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Steel-3677324_0_20110720183314_0_0.jpg  
Old 07-31-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Good rules of thumb - don't buy steel unless you NEED it - sailing to the Arctic or something. Don't buy wood unless you can't live without it emotionally, don't buy aluminium unless you are an electrical engineer.

There is a very good reason why most pleasure craft are plastic - think about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-31-2011

turbulicity is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by veprjack View Post
Keeping in mind that I'm a newbie, I have to say that the interior of the 1979 Finot Reve des tropique is amazing! WOW! Since I'm looking for a boat to live aboard on, I was blown away by the comfort, amenities and size! The only thing, and it's fixable/relatively minor, is the lack of a shower down under... Other than that, the boat appears to be a good value. Of course, other posters with more knowledge of things that go beyond cosmetics have already cautioned about rust! So, get a good survey/inspection and don't let the beauty of the interior cloud your judgement!

Best of luck!
Jack
The interior pictures of that boat are deceiving. They are shot with a wide angle lens, exaggerating the size. It is a fairly common trick by boat brokers.