Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011
On The Learning Curve

veprjack is on a distinguished road
Steel

I've done the "search" here and got some good information. In my newbie search for my first boat, I came across a Sander 30', which is a Dutch made steel boat. Just wondering if anyone knows about this boat, and experiences with steel hulls in general. 1976 Sander sailboat for sale in Pennsylvania

Thanks,
Jack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2011

Siamese is on a distinguished road
If you're considering getting your first boat, I would suggest not complicating the purchase by looking at steel boats. If you don't already know plenty about steel boats, you probably don't know enough to find happiness buying one.

Fiberglass is your best bet. Nothing's perfect, but fiberglass is pretty much the best thing going for recreational boating.

Problem with steel is corrosion. Build a steel boat and it starts rusting before you can even apply the primer. Stick it in saltwater and watch the fun begin. Constant vigilance is required to own and maintain steel.

A survey by someone who knows steel would be critical. The boat may look fine but can have areas in it's hull that are THIN.

Another problem with steel is weight. They're heavy, and prone to being slow, particularly in smaller sizes like 30 feet.

If you're in love with steel and have to have it, then proceed with caution. If you're considering a particular boat that happens to be made of steel...don't.
Old 07-22-2011
On The Learning Curve

Siamese, thank you for the good info/advice. This particular boat caught my eye, so that was what made me ask - no love of steel. I'm in the very preliminary level of research so I will force myself not to do anything impulsive. Fortunately, the money I need won't be available until almost November anyway, so that will make it easier to be patient. In the meantime, I'll continue to research here and elsewhere and post newbie questions.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 07-22-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Forget the steel hull reason, that is still not a good first boat. I see a lot of owner installed modifications that are not necessarily good for a beginner. Keep it simple with your first boat and then move up as you experience and skills increase.

Get yourself a Pearson or Catalina 30 for half the money and it will hold it's value much better.

Good luck trying to sell a dutch made boat that is virtually unknown.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-22-2011
On The Learning Curve

Thanks treilley! I'm interested in a 1981 Pearson 365 ketch right now, and THAT is certainly a well known and popular boat. Although I took sailing lessons almost 20 years ago, it was on a Pearson 30' (I think that was the length) and it was spartan, but a GREAT boat. The owner of the school had taken it from Marblehead down to South Carolina several times and he spoke well of it. He had complete newbies sailing it well after just 2 lessons - nice, easy boat. I think it would be a GREAT first (or last for that matter) sailboat for me!

Thanks,
Jack
Old 07-22-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
The 365 is nice but more of a cruiser. Not designed for great performance. The ketch rig will make the boat more complicated to sail and also more expensive to maintain. I would stay with a conventional sloop rig for the first boat.

A late 80s Pearson 33 is a very nice boat. Nice interior and decent performance. Usually the same price point as the 365 ketch.
veprjack likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-22-2011

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Ditto on the sloop.
Old 07-24-2011

Valinor is on a distinguished road
I am currently refurbishing a steel boat. A lot of work, lots of previous bad decisions having to be undone. I am replacing a lot of decking that was fiberglassed over and water got under the glass. Lots of rust. IF you are set on a steel boat know a good welder you will need him.
Old 07-25-2011
On The Learning Curve

Thanks everyone! I still love the Pearson, but there are a couple of REALLY nice C30s in my neighborhood and they are priced right. I'm going to look at one on Friday and actually take a sail on the other one on Saturday so... I'll let you know what happens!

Thanks again,
Jack
Old 07-30-2011

lafayette is on a distinguished road
i was reading the review, and i might buy a steel boat for some reason
the fibre glass there is the problem of osmose, then there is the problem to treat the problem.
The repair is a bit more difficult

as for the steel, heavier and more solid construction
Ok i can said, i will lose 1 or 2 knots on sailing.

David

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.