Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2011

Sailski3 is on a distinguished road
Question First Boat - Pearson 26 vs Seafarer 26

I am purchasing my first boat and have been looking at used boats for a few months now. I have limited experience at sailing. I have over the years taken out daysailors like sunfish, sailfish, hobie cats and lightenings on inland lakes and bays. I have crewed a few times on larger boats as well. I recently attended an ASA class in sailing in preparation for ownership. I have found two boats that seem to be in very good condition for their age - a 1979 Pearson 26 and a 1980 Seafarer 26. They seem to be somewhat different in nature with the Pearson having a a larger displacement and a larger sail plan to drive her. I intend to sail the boat I purchase on the Chesapeake and Delaware bays initially, with an eye to coastal cruising after gaining appropriate experience. My question, like most newbie's on here is for some opinions from those of you familiar with or having sailed or owned these boats. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2011

paul323 is on a distinguished road
I sail occasionally on a friend's P26 in the San Francisco bay. Like all Pearsons, she is a well-built, well-designed boat - as you probably know, Pearsons have an excellent reputation as a boatbuilder. Still very competitive in our Beer-Can racing. As you would expect from a 26' boat, the accommodations are a bit cramped for a cruise of more than a few days, but are better than many boats that size. They have upgraded her to an asymetric spinnaker, which works very well.

The boat I sail in has a tiller, and is fine for 3 people in the cockpit, but can be a bit cramped with 5 - again, what you would expect with a 26 footer.

My only concern - purely personal - is that the rudder looks exposed - I prefer a skeg.
Old 07-29-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
The P26 is a wonderful boat and a great first boat. Fun to cruise and race.

No experience with the Seafarer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-29-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
The P26 is a wonderful boat and a great first boat. Fun to cruise and race.

No experience with the Seafarer.
Same here. I have sailed a P26 for over a year through my boat club and they are fun. A little cramped as others have said as well. Guess I just agree with others opinions of the P26.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-29-2011

Thanks to both of you for the input. I read many reviews of the P26 and most all were favorable. They are a well documented boat. Paul, I have read about similar reservations on spade rudders from others and understand there are pros and cons to each. Incidentally, the Seafarer has a skeg hung rudder. Please keep the feedback coming. I appreciate any and all comments regarding these boats or even suggestions on other models to consider.
Old 07-29-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
I owned a P26 for two years in the early 90s and it was a great boat - sturdy and well-designed with a good turn of speed. Great for your intended uses, although I would be careful about coastal cruising with it given its age. I sailed round Delmarva in it in 1993 over the course of 9 days, with overnights in Gibson's Island, Chesapeake City, Cape May, Ocean City, MD, Cape Charles, and Reedville.
Old 07-29-2011

Thank you to all who have responded. So far it is Pearson all the way. Any takers on the Seafarer? Anybody have knowledga about this model?
Old 07-30-2011

sloanfiske is on a distinguished road
seafarer has a skeg mount rudder and a lead encapsulated keel. should have wheel steering and an inboard diesel (likely a yanmar 1gm). also, has 6'2 headroom and generally has a real head instead of a porta. also has a lead encapsulated keel.

P26 has an exposed rudder, tiller, and an outboard. there are known rudder shaft issues along with keel bolt issues.

fwiw, i looked at both the P26 and Seafarer, and bought a seafarer. for coastal cruising seems like a Seafarer would fit the bill better maybe.

the seafarer is pretty great little boat. all the trappings of a bigger boat in a smaller package.

Last edited by sloanfiske; 07-30-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-30-2011

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Sailski,
Have you been reading the thread started by BubbleheadMD about buying a Pearson 30?
While you did not specify your budget, you might look at a few larger boats, say up to 30feet before deciding on the 26. There was a time when I thought a 25' boat would hang the moon, but now feel that a 30 footer is almost ideal. The cost of maintenance will be only one step more expensive (size of rigging being the most obvious item) and since most marinas basically charge for 30 feet as a minimum, you might as well fill up the slip with boat. The handling of a 30 is no more difficult or complex than a 26 once you get over the psychological barrier and you will have a much more comfortable boat for weekending and that week long summer cruise. And finally, now is a really good time to be buying a boat, you might get a deal you will never see again.
Good luck,
John
Old 07-30-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I know of a Tartan 27' available for $3.5K in Annapolis if you care.

Everybody has one:

Tags
new boat purchase advice , pearson26 , seafarer26

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.