Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011
Aspiring sailor

fredct is on a distinguished road
Update

Thanks to all you replied so far. I had forgotten to subscribe to the thread and just now read all the interesting comments.

I am located near LI Sound so plenty of boats nearby. I am NOT experienced local buying makes sense.

I did get trailering quotation and it's north of $2k in the 35' range but I had not thought about decommissioning the mast and rigging and doing it all again at destination. Sounds like the total cost could easily be twice the shipping charges.

In terms of buying process, I am still in phase 1: assessing my needs and determining cost of ownership. I was initially looking at single cabin boats but admiral wants to spend extended periods on water so inside accommodations more critical than I originally thought. We have lots of time in summer so she is probably right. I also acknowledged to myself that I snore quite a bit, something to consider when picking 2 cabins vs. 3 cabins!

I will post separately my COO model. I started out thinking that the boat purchase price was the key to sailing. I now realize that one is looking at $15k per year, almost irrespective of boat condition and size, mostly in berthing/winter storage, fuel and wear and tear.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2011
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
I started out thinking that the boat purchase price was the key to sailing. I now realize that one is looking at $15k per year, almost irrespective of boat condition and size, mostly in berthing/winter storage, fuel and wear and tear.
The cost of the boat itself is just the price of admission.

Buying a used boat, it almost certainly will need *something* done. Some kind of "deferred maintenance" item or neglected issue that you'll need to catch up on, or something(s) repaired or replaced.

I don't know how you came up with $15K per year for a 28-foot boat. I have a 30-footer and I'm not paying anything like that, nor would I.

One of the more expensive expenses will be a dedicated slip at a marina. Shop around - they do vary in cost, based on location and amenities and services offered. I found a small, low-key marina with very few amenities, but a great location, for about 60-70% of what the fancier marinas wanted.

Other costs:

- Insurance
- Equipment (USCG required stuff - PFDs, etc., plus maybe new radio, GPS chartplotter, etc.)
- Supplies, tools, spare parts for the engine
- Sales tax
- Property tax (at least down here in VA, we have to pay personal property tax on cars and boats)
- Fuel
- Yard fees if you haul it every now and then (as you should) for painting and maintenance
- Bottom paint and other maintenance items

There is little wonder that "yachting" generally is regarded as a rich man's past time. You don't really have to be "rich", but it definitely does incur a few thousand bucks per year. I wouldn't peg it at $15,000, though.

I've dumped several thousands bucks into my boat in the first year of ownership, but then again I'm doing a ton of work on it. Once I'm done, it should settle down, and I'll be looking at maybe $3,000 - 4,000 per year in recurring costs - the largest of which is that slip fee.

I can see the beauty of a smaller sailboat that can live on a trailer and be launched and retreived that way. But if you're talking comfortable, longer-distance cruising with wifey, then yeah, you're going to need more space - and a head with a door.
jameswilson29 likes this.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 08-04-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=fredct;758454]I also acknowledged to myself that I snore quite a bit, something to consider when picking 2 cabins vs. 3 cabins!

Or a comfortable cockpit. You can be anchor watch while you're out there, a two fer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
I will post separately my COO model. I started out thinking that the boat purchase price was the key to sailing. I now realize that one is looking at $15k per year, almost irrespective of boat condition and size, mostly in berthing/winter storage, fuel and wear and tear.
Ahhhh! You are smarter than the average bear to understand that before buying the boat. But, as far as costs go, size matters.

One thing I tell my students who are buying their first boat and want as much boat as they can afford not the boat they actually need, is to start looking at boat supply catalogs and randomly pick stuff on the boat to see what it would cost to replace. An education in itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 08-04-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-04-2011
Aspiring sailor

fredct is on a distinguished road
Go here for my post on total cost of ownership. I can see how you go below $10k (boat size, etc.) but there is much cost delusion when owning large things (such as a house). I am sure I will do the same (i.e. look the other way) but with 2 kids going into college, I am trying to stay level headed. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/77170-sailboat-cost-ownership.html#post758464)
Old 08-04-2011

sidney777 is on a distinguished road
Like some experts say/said; "Go small go now", and they were talking about cruising, but, you could interpet it for you own uses.
There are lots of good buys out there, Craigslist,Ebay, reposessed boats from non-paying owners of Storage fees. Call or visit Boatyards, storage places and ask. I know it may feel a bit awkward and like admitting you don't have enough money, but you may get exactly what you want and learn alot about sailboats from Boatyard people (or not). Even if you have a ton of money; who wants to pay too much ?
jameswilson29 likes this.

Last edited by sidney777; 08-04-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
LIS ?

You should be able to find a perfect boat within 10-25 miles

Any more than that distance and you are working too hard