Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
As far as resell ability goes very clean boats even if more expensive sell better than boats that have issues.
I'm interested in what others say on this but I have a suspicion that throwaway boats under 5,000 sell very well to first timers who have no money and no idea of the real costs of a boat. On the other end pristine boats even 30,50,100 k sell well to those with the money and the knowledge to know what they are getting.

A broker can do a few queries for you on yacht world to see how many boats have sold in the last 6 months in your neighborhood to get an idea as to prices, quality and size.

That being said the larger the investment the higher the risk.
Your idea of getting a throwaway boat just so you can hang out at the dock and invite yourself aboard as many boats as possible is very doable.

Last edited by davidpm; 08-07-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2011

Shakey is on a distinguished road
AR, thanks. I have been considering the speed issue for precisely the reasons you mentioned.
Old 08-07-2011

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
I been seeing some Oday 37's on sailboat listings site in good condition and nicely priced. Seems like it could make a excellent live aboard vessel since there is huge cabin space and even an aft cabin. I think I am considering one of these as possibly being my next boat which could be as early as next year. A non-stop trip from New Orleans to the keys should be easy and straight forward with a boat like this. Especially with nice weather windows.

Oh I love what you say in your P.S., sums up my thoughts exactly. When I got into sailing, things have taken a backseat for the better, for example cars. Financing a car is one of the worse financial moves a person can make. So my money goes towards a bigger boat and reason being is because I am aiming to be a liveaboard. This way I can do a lot more sailing and I will be at the boat a lot more often so I can do more maintenance, upgrades and improvements on things. I see this as a much smarter investment then what a car could or ever was to me. I mean you can live in these things! I can't live in a $25,000 car which is becoming the norm for the price of a new car in today's times. A good yacht sailboat can be bought used and will hold its value. So as soon as I pay off my Chevy Silverado pickup next year, I can move forward with things. Its not about rich, its about debt free which nowdays is almost like being rich since over half the population is in debt.

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."
Old 08-07-2011

David, thanks for the message. I couldn't reply because I don't have enough posts.
Old 08-07-2011

Sailguy, agree completely on $$. I used to be a partner in good-sized law firm (about 120 attorneys). Most of my partners blew through their sizeable incomes with little to spare. I lived in a house that cost less than I made in a year, drove a 7 year old truck, etc. But they all joked that I had a better lifestyle because I traveled a lot - easy to do when you don't shackle yourself with huge fixed expenses elsewhere.

Further, I used to tell my associates that since they were used to being poor law students, and we were now going to start them at around 150k, they should just pretend like I only paid them 1/2 of that - still a huge step up in living standards, but they could build up some savings quickly. The ones who took my advice all kept quitting to go do something else. The last one to do so asked me why I hadn't quit yet - I didn't have an answer. I was out the door one year later.
Old 08-07-2011

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
I'm onboard with alanr77 when it comes to Catalina's. When we were looking for our first boat, the wife and I decided after looking at lots of boats, the C27 would best fit our needs. We looked at a number of them. Went to a marina 100 miles away one day to look at another. The marina owner showed it to us, and just another ho-hum 27, nothing special. He said, I've got a 30 you might want to look at. Heck, we didn't even know they had a 30, but we're here so why not. The minute we stepped on board, we knew it was the right boat and bought it the very next day.
Old 08-07-2011

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road
I agree on chartering. I think you'll be sailing boats that are much closer the what you eventually end up with. You could also try fractional ownership for a year or two.
Old 08-07-2011

I was planning to get something smaller and simpler as more of a learning vehicle, but surprisingly, the advice seems to be heading the other direction. Am I over-estimating the extra hassle of using a larger boat primarily as a day sailer?
Old 08-07-2011

jtober is on a distinguished road
Another point of view

I agree with others that you very well may want a larger boat in the end, BUT - there is merit in your plan to start small. I bought a Pearson 30 two years ago in fantastic shape for $6500. Love it, but there is a list of things I would want in my next boat that I had no clue about when I bought her, and that I didn't learn until we had spent some real time on her. We will certainly move up, but now when I plunk down $30K or more, I know the boat I buy will be something really well suited for us. I won't get more than $2500 for her, but that is $4K well spent and probably what I would have lost on depreciation on a $30K boat over those 2-4 years anyway!

I suggest you buy something less expensive and use it to understand what is important to YOU in a sailboat. The key is to be clear about this plan with the Admiral - this is a tester boat. You don't want her to get turned off to sailing/cruising. She will definitely want more room than a sub-30 foot narrow boat. But you want her to be involved in that discussion - "based on what we've experienced on our boat, I really want x,y and z in the next boat." I expect you will both be happier in the end!

My two cents. Best of luck!

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Old Blue
1974 Pearson P30 #503
Old 08-08-2011

alanr77 is on a distinguished road
"Am I over-estimating the extra hassle of using a larger boat primarily as a day sailer?" No. However, this may help;

At one point recently I had access to three different sailboats that I could play on at any given time. One was a Laser, one was a C-22 swing keel and the other is the C-30. Being able to compare the practicality of the three within the same weekend has given me some insight on the shortcomings of the boats.

The laser is a 1-2 person lightweight race boat. Super fast hull and an absolute workout to sail in stiff wind. We have a blast sailing it and actually I have more fun on the laser than the larger boats. However, it is pure sailing- not relaxing.

The C22 is a fun boat to sail. Not fast, not slow. You can relax on it a bit and there is enough room down below to take a nap, get out of the sun for a minute ect. Things get really cramped, really quick when you invite a few friend out with you though.

The C30 takes a few more minutes to get ready to cast off than the C22, however, once underway, the boat does everything better than the C22. She is faster, more stable and can accommodate a few couples for a comfortable day on the water.

Personally, I sometimes miss getting of work, heading to the marina, 10 minutes later we are on our way and within the hour catching the perfect sunset with a good drink in hand. The 30 requires a little more planning to accomplish this. The fact that she draws almost 6 feet means tides come into play and things like that. To me though, the trade off is worth it. The inboard engine far outclasses the outboard on the C22. Livability and space wins over the C22's 4"6" headroom. Guess it depends on what you expect out of the boat. They all have their attributes. In the end however, I ended up with what I feel is the perfect compromise for me. The C30 does everything the C22 did only better. So out with the 22. The laser now fills the desire to get out on the water quickly and without any planning. I think this could mean that in order for you to accomplish this with one boat, something is the original size range you first talked about may work for you. A C25 or maybe C27 may work out well for you. What you want to do is what they were designed for.